Wireless to Payload status?

Hi guys! Does anyone have any info on whether or not an attached payload can be accessed via the wireless network on Trident? My understanding is that this is possible but not sure if feature is implemented in the software as yet??

Objective is to have a GoPro slung as external payload and be able to access the feed through the GoPro app on separate tablet connected to the Trident wireless.

Do-able???

I doubt you would get enough bandwidth through the tether for two video streams. The trident streams 720p live and stores the same video as 1080p files. If there isn’t enough bandwidth for a 1080p stream, there probably isn’t going to be enough for 2x 720p streams.

I have successfully steamed at1080p from Trident so I know that is at least feasible. It would be great to know more about bandwidth specs and the auxiliary wifi conection capabilities.

I think the software team has done experiments wherein they were able to get a live stream up through the tether and to the WiFi. I don’t think it was a full quality stream but it at least lets you know if you are on subject.

I’m wondering. To you all here and anybody new to this thread: a few questions!
(1) Do you need to turn on and off your GoPro during a dive?
(2) Are you worried about neutral buoyancy or do you think you can figure that out / don’t care.
(3) What direction would you use your GoPro?
(4) How deep are you going? What are you shooting?
(5) Would you try to use it at night? Have you thought about needing lights or not?

The reason I’m interested is it is very likely that the team will release a product at some point that helps attach a GoPro or other secondary camera and it would be great to get an idea of what everyone’s really needing that to do!

Best,

HI Zack, some thoughts:

1. Do you mean power or recording? I wouldn’t think power unless we are extending dives beyond GoPro charge lifetime. I see this as a future possibility during survey work, as an example. Recording, yes. It’s annoying parsing 2+ hours of video from 30 minutes of actual needed data. However, supplying an API, which may already exist, with topside UI control to at least the major functions, would be perfect.
  2. Absolutely care. If you spend all your efforts and battery just trying to stay at a constant depth, your ROI on the dive will be very low and result in payload abandonment for other solutions. I strapped a Go-Pro forward of CG and didn’t compensate, Trident just kept nose diving. (I didn’t do the math before hand)That being said, any payload solution needs to, if not provide compensation, list out needed adjustments for compensation as part of the deliverable.
    More on this point, Most users don’t understand righting moments and won’t think of how drastically the Trident flight characteristics change when you add stuff to the kit. what maybe a better solution is, though one can attach payloads using the bolt patterns on the bottom of the kit, to have a tool sled like attachment that can better assist in CG/CB effects of various payloads. This removes dependencies on small payload kits and opens the foot print for buoyancy compensation without driving payload cost up due to added foam, etc to the kits individually. Also, if you plan on having more than 1 kit, you increase the into kit dependencies that may be problematic. Not sure.
  3. All
  4. Max 50m here in the Chesapeake. Majority ~ 10m some 30 in dredge channels under some of the bridges. , some Oyster reefs, wrecks, piers, boat hulls, rip-rap, crab pots and SAV, submerged aquatic vegetation.
  5. Yes. Yes.

360 camera rig. i’m indifferent to GoPro. As long as it’s high quality and open API, it would be worth the development cost.

Jim

Hi Zack

1. Yes I would like to turn on and off the GoPro, I would also like to change modes (or switch from stills to video)
  2. I guess I could work out buoyancy but something off the shelf may be of interest
  3. I shoot looking straight down typically to generate SfM models, but sometimes looking forward and down
  4. I’ve had the standard GoPro housing down to 75m
  5. Maybe not night but I have had to use lights
    Scott

Zack

(1) Yes, I would like to turn the GoPro on and off.
(2) I’d be concerned with how any payload would effect the neutral buoyancy
(3) Mostly facing down for photogrammetry, but occasionally forward.
(4) 50M at best. I’ll be shooting wrecks, mining artifacts, sea life, organisms thriving in flooded mines.
(5) Yes, night use is important since the work in flooded mines that I do will be darker than a night in a bay. I’ve been experimenting with additional lights and still feel I need more light.

~Mike

1. Not really that important, just turn it on before you dive. I put it all together then use the app to start recording just before tossing it in the water.
  2. A sled with places to mount buoyancy. I am about to dive into this project myself. My plan is to cold form a couple strips of 1/4” HDPE in to sleds with a couple cross bars.
  3. I’m using a garmin Virb 360, more data/dive. I really feel a 360 camera is the way to go.
  4. As deep as the Trident is rated would be ideal.
  5. I built an enclosure for the camera and the light. The light I use is this one, which has a nice wide beam and long battery life, on low. https://www.amazon.com/Litra-Torch-Camera-Photo-Video/dp/B06Y3JF1T2

I tried putting the camera/light enclosure on the bottom of the Trident but It needs some strategically placed floatation o be useable. A skid will give the camera some protection and a place to mount some buoyancy. Even on my ROV pictured you can see the scuff marks from hitting the bottom, thus the yellow bar protecting it. I used the blue ROV dome end cap on a 4” tube with the aluminum end cap in the others side. The light sits in the dome, then a foam spacer to keep the light from leaking up into the camera, then the 360 camera on top. The ROV is upside down.

Joe