Wings (planes)

My OpenROV dives down when going forward and climbs when going backward. Plus it has always been heavy due to metal props, a metal frame, different batteries, ect. I have used ping pong balls and PVC tubes to balance it out.

Eric is always talking about "flying" the ROV, so I decided to add wings (fins). I drew one up in Inventor and then printed two of them over the weekend. They are hollow so they help make my OpenROV neutral in water. I was able to remove the ping pong balls. Each one is 3.49 oz or 98.8 gm.

Now I need a servo that can work in water and I can move them up/down.

I have not had a chance to test it in the lake.

1278-finv1drawing.pdf (60.9 KB) 1279-finsprinting.jpg (111 KB) 1280-OpenROV_241_fins.jpg (184 KB)

Very cool and I hope it works / helps. I have the same problem with the ROV diving up and down. It's caused by the water being sucked or pushed through the vertical thruster port.

I wonder if attaching the wings towards the front would have a better effect? I see that you have holes in your ROV chassis so I imagine once you get into the lake you'll be moving the wings around to see where they work best.

I think the real way to prevent diving is move the port/starboard thrusters outside of the ROV frame so that water no longer travels through the vertical thruster port when driving.

-Marcus

Hi John, I'm new here and new to the whole ROV scene but planning on building, so I wonder, does anyone know the limitation of the GoPro cam re depth?

I believe it's197' you can go to their web site and look at the spec's

Wow, thanks, I will check it out.