Where to put code (2.5)

I understand that this is the builders forum, but since I figure this is a pretty basic question that I'm sure I'm not the only one thats having it. IM looking on GITHUB on the part of trying to connect to the 2.5. There is some code that I have to add to make everything run together. Im sorry if this questions is dumb, but where do I type that in? Is that in the windows command window or is it something else? I have lots of experience in programming CNC machines and fabrication, but this is my first endevor on the "programming side" SO please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks!

Cannon

i'm not really catching what youre asking, but there isnt much programming needed to get the rov up and running initially. Here is a guide to load the precompiled image to the rov:

https://github.com/OpenROV/openrov-software/releases

when/if you have performed this, we can take it from there?

Hey this link you sent me is super helpful!

So I've installed all of the software onto the BBB (and tested it via USB and it worked great with the cockpit and everything)

Ive turned on my ROV and I went into my network settings and set my LAN to IPv4 setting to

IP 192.168.254.3 with s subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (what it defaulted to)

I then went into chrome and put in the ROV's IP (192.168.254.1:8080)

and it says the page doesnt exist or google cant find it.

What am I doing wrong here?

cant say that i see anything wrong.

i usually connect the board to my local network, and the rov get an IP from my router.

to find out what ip adress the rov has received is use a app called "Fing" (http://www.overlooksoft.com/download)

the rov is usually called "openrov" and has "Texas instruments" as manufacturer.

then enter that ip adress with 8080 behind like you did with the other ip.

note: reset your networks settings to recive ip adress from the same router/network as your rov.

I operate off of a corporate network and that is how my computer is set up. So i think that and the corporate firewall are preventing my from getting into it. That is my theory at least. I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out.

Thanks!

connect the rov to the network and use fing to find the ip adress to the rov and connect to that adress.

if still nothing, maybe its a blockage of the 8080 port

I finally got it to connect and now It wont upload the Arduino firmware from Github. At the end of the process it just says failed to upload after multiple tries.

the Arduino upload is missing a setting, that tells it what kind of controllerboard its uploading to.

you will need to download putty ssh software and connect to the ipadress of the rov. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

when prompted for username: rov

password: OpenROV

run following command: sudo /etc/init.d/openrov stop (it will take about 30sec)

then run this command: sudo vim /opt/openrov/arduino/OpenROV/AConfig.h

use the cursors to maneuver you down to this text:

/* The definitions are done in th
#define HAS_STD_CAPE (0)
#define HAS_OROV_CONTROLLERBOARD_25 (0)
*/

Press "i" on the keyboard, and edit the text to:

/* The definitions are done in th */
#define HAS_STD_CAPE (0)
#define HAS_OROV_CONTROLLERBOARD_25 (1)

-(note to remove the */ down here)-

Press "escape" and write ":wq"

if everything is done correctly, you can now use arrow-up two times to the sudo /etc/init.d/openrov stop command, edit it to sudo /etc/init.d/openrov start

wait 30s-1min and you should be able to connect to cockpit and do the upload.

Hi Cannon:

Just to amplify what Thomas said, and lay out the bigger picture:

Because the hardware setup of people's ROVs can vary significantly, the Arduino software is modular. The way you tell the software what kind of hardware configuration you have is by editing the AConfig.h file in the Arduino source code. When you go to upload the Arduino software from the BeagleBone, it custom compiles a version of the Arduino software for your ROV, based upon the settings in AConfig.h.

The stock source code or stock pre-compiled OROV image doesn't know whether you have a 2.5 ROV (which uses the 2.5 controller board) or an earlier 2.3 or 2.4 unit (which uses a Cape on the BeagleBone). So after downloading the software, you need to enable one of these, based upon which revision of the ROV you have.

If you decide to add more features to the ROV (such as the depth gauge/ IMU), then after installing the hardware, you edit the AConfig.h file and reload the Arduino software.

If you design your own custom hardware, you can write your own custom Arduino software modules for it, and edit AConfig.h appropriately so that your custom software gets compiled and loaded as well.

Hope this helps.

-Walt

This was amazingly helpful! I now have it in the water and running as we speak! Thank You!

This really cleared up some of the confusion I was having. I am new to the electronics side of this (So basically all of it) and this was helpful. Thank you!