Waterproof Connectors for Wires

I am trying to get new waterproof connectors (replace black waterproof connectors with wires coming out of it). The waterproof connectors do not have individual holes for the individual wires, but rather have a donut-like shape to fit all the wires through the connector.

Thus, moisture is leaking into the electronics tube through the waterproof connectors for electronics, between the spaces of the wires.

Anyone have any suggestions for what to do?

It Depends if you want to remove those wires at anytime? with those glands one way to seal them is with silicon sealant or epoxy. (the silicon could be removed would take some time though, epoxy not so much).

Also dependant on depth you are going to, you could use feedthroughs like the penetrators from blue robotics https://www.bluerobotics.com/product-category/connectors/ these can be removed but are epoxyed in place.

@allai,
I have used the Blue Robotics cable penetrators exclusively on my ROVs and they are very reliable.
However, they are really designed for sheathed cable with multiple internal wires and not for unsheathed individual wires.
I have asked Rusty at Blue Robotics if other individuals have attempted to seal multiple unsheathed wire bundles into the cable penetrators and he said yes they have, but it can be a tricky process to get the epoxy used to seal the cable penetrator to get a good seal on each individual wire.
This cable penetrator document will give you an idea of how the cable/wires are epoxied into the cable penetrator.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

Thanks for the feedback!

@TCIII
I have two orange cables large in diameter (0.6 cm); how would I waterproof this? From what I can see, the cable penetrators are mostly for smaller cables.

@allai,
The smallest cable penetrator will take a cable that is 0.6 mm in diameter. I guess the best way is to have a cable penetrator for each of the two 0.6 mm diameter cables. I would not try to put both cables into one cable penetrator.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

@TCIII
The cable I am referring to is 0.6 cm, not 0.6 mm, in diameter.

Best regards,
Alice

@allai,
Sorry. A slip of the keyboard. I meant 0.6 cm and not 0.6 mm.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

@TCIII,
Are there any other cable penetrators 13 mm or greater in diameter? I just realized the orange cables are actually 13 mm, not 6 mm.

Best regards,
Alice

@allai,
Unfortunately the largest pre-made BR cable penetrator has a 0.8 cm opening.
You might be able to make a custom cable penetrator by boring out a blank cable penetrator, however you are going to be limited by the diameter of the cable penetrator shaft which is 1.0 cm in diameter.
You might have to bite the bullet and use more smaller diameter multi-wire cables so that you can use a pre-made cable penetrator.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

I know I’m late to this, but have you considered dedicated waterproof connectors (e.g.: https://powerbyproxi.com/waterproof-connectors/). I know this largely depends on your specific needs / budget etc, but it’s likely the easiest way. If not, then I’d second what TCIII has said - cable penetrators may be your best bet. I’d probably be going crazy with epoxy and filler by this point, but that’s just me :stuck_out_tongue: Hope that helps!