VR headset for FPV Trident Flying - On the Cheap and Hacky

Further to my experimentation.

Got a cheap tablet (xGody) that had HDMI output. Glyph worked bu open ROV app no video. Anyhow, tablet died after 24 hrs and has been returned for refund. Would not recommend.

Have had all kinds of difficulty finding a tablet that will do hdmi output. Ordered one of better quality from a local shop but is on backorder and wont arrive for another 3 weeks.

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/ollee-8-inch-premium-16gb-tablet.html

Has micro HDMI, a mediatek rather than rockchip processor, Android 7.1. :slight_smile:

Have tried HDMI adaptors with no success Android support for MHL or slimport is a very hit and miss thing.

Mira or Chrome cast possible i guess, but the adaptors need 5V/1A power which is not easily do-able in the field.

Best solution would be an opencockpit app that is easy compatible with a Google Cardboard type headset.

Could run the Trident off a phone wireless in that with a controller bluetoothed onto the phone.

The config of the Avegant Glyph is good though. Safer in the field or on a boat as can look around it rather than something sealed to your face.

Here is the set up I have been using, no glitches, just plug it in and go.

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s8-active-64gb--at-t--meteor-gray-sm-g892azaaatt/. Prices should be coming way down on this model soon. It has extra batter capacity, extra waterproofing, and an extra strong antenna. I use the touch controls with vibration feedback turned on. The touch controls are very responsive and intuitive. Samsung s6 and s7 do not support hdmi but it can be done, I have been told.

From the phone, I go to this adapter, it has a power receptacle so you can still charge your phone. Half an hour of flight time does not bring the battery down much though, maybe 10% if that. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNS7W63/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From the adapter goes the hdmi cable then to Cinimzer glasses I got on eBay. I just hang the whole thing around my neck, one end is the phone/controls and the other end is the googles. The glasses are nice, without the eye shield you can still clearly see the screen in sunlight. The bottom and other details appear sooner with the googles on. You can also peek below them to see your controls or above to watch your tether. (Side note: if you point out your tether in the water to a jet skier, they turn towards the tether because they are dumb, boaters will turn away.)

I put the glasses on some kids during a float lab today in Mission Bay, usually go to La Jolla but bad wind and swell day. Lots of wows and one kid let out three oh wows in a row. Worth the effort for rigging up some googles for sure. The details just don’t pop out on a sun washed screen, even in overcast conditions. That said, you can still pilot just fine from the phone screen and watch the video later indoors.

If anyone in the San Diego area wants to compare glasses for the sake of helping others make informed decisions, just let me know. I would like to see how the others work as well. I wouldn’t spend full retail on the cinimizers, the quality is just not there to justify.

Joe
Boatsd@gmail.com

I have ordered the Trident controller which has a micro hdmi output and I was hoping to simply connect this direct to GJI goggles which have a mini HDMI input.

Is there any reason why this won’t work?

Hi all! Have the Trident up and running. :slight_smile:

Am using an ALLDOCUBE 8 inch tablet. Has HDMI out which is hard to get on an android tablet these days. :frowning:

Running android 6.0

Opencockpit app 1.3.3

Ipega joystick bluetoothed to the tablet.

Avegant Glyph headset for a display gets me around the issue i have had with being able to see the screen in bright sunlight. This is a good headset as you an easily see around it to the real world. Less falling of boats and bumping into walls. :slight_smile:

Exporting videos need to be done to internal storage rather than the SD card, but i suspect that’s a tablet / android version issue . If i export to a directory in internal storage all good and can take that off to the PC no probs.

Export to the SD card and it shows up as a 0 byte file. ??

@travis.a.griggs
Does the TiYiViRi Headset have a fixed focus? I have asked on the Amazon product page.
Regards,
TCIII

With the TiYiViRi Headset, will you have trouble installing the Cockpit App from the Google Play Store since the specs on Amazon refer to the NIBIRU APP store?

@webhoppery.
I was planning to initially use the HDMI input from my laptop which I am using with an OROV2.8.

Regards,
TCIII

Hello! I’m having a hard time splitting the screen…I was able to clone the app but can’t get them to run side by side so I can use the cheap VR headset where you slide your phone in. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yeah, when I wrote cheap and hacky, I really meant it. LOL. My phone, Android, the split screen option appears in the upper right of the application windows when I hit the multi-windows button, to the left of my home button.

I actually bought a mount for my PS4 controller and run the ROV with that setup as well. I’ve asked the developers to try to put some time into getting the app split for the headset, but they have bigger fish to fry, so to speak, before they can get to that.

Hi all! Revisiting using the trident with a VR headset. Have a Samsung Gear VR and A8 phone to use. Anyone know if any progress being made on a cockpit app that is compatable with VR headset??

I too would like to use the Split / MultiWindow tablet feature to display the Cockpit Pilot along with a map using Backcountry Navigator Pro. Even when giving Cockpit the maximum split window size, the pitch tape is still missing. It’s the same whether the Cockpit is on the left or right.

I’ve attached a screenshot of what is displayed now.