Video from cockpit view

Is it possible to capture the video with the Cockpit view? E.g. when reviewing a video from the trident, I would like to know/see how deep the trident was at that moment (such as finding a nice new object under water).
I am using the Trident, with the JXD controller end OpenROV cockpit app.

Gr Hans

I used a screen recorder app with good results. The one I used was DU Recorder. It has several quality options, eventhough the video feed is 720, 1080 recording made it easier to read the cockpit details on the recording. Only drawback is it is a separate recording so doesn’t start/stop with the record button in the Cockpit. It can also record from the microphone if you want to record your voice during the dive.

1 Like

@alaskasurf : Thanks for the suggestion, i will look into that, however I would like to see that as option of the cockpit in one of the future releases

Many of us are asking for this.

See this thread: Anyway to get dive profile data?

Hi all,

We are currently working on a feature that will allow you to add an overlay to your recorded video in real time with information such as depth, temperature, date, time, and heading. This will hopefully be available later this month or early February. We are also looking at methods for bundling this telemetry data with the video data for use in other applications. We will announce more details once we are closer to release.

4 Likes

Hi @charlesdc thanks for the quick reply, looking forward to that release.

Hallo,
any updates on when this release will be out? We are currently using the trident to document the invasion of Lionfish in greek waters among other things, having the depth data for the videos would be crucial!

1 Like

Released! Super excited about the new features! Unfortunately having quite some trouble updating the Trident… the cockpit app as easy but trident… not really happening, it stops to move after the download…

So is this functionality now built into the preloaded software? We also are going to be using ours when it arrives for searching for lionfish in the Turks & Caicos, monitoring the progress of a new coral disease and inspecting moorings, so depth, etc. would be very useful.

Not sure which version your trident will ship with, in doubt simply check in the settings, but the update doesn’t take too long, just make it an evening with a glass of wine and check the screen on occasion :wink:
BUT: Either way the overlay adds a lot of value (for me personally)
And curiosity from my end: How exactly are you going to use the trident for the inspections concerning the lion fish?
While we have increasing populations of them here in Crete and during a recreational dive up to 20 are spotted with the ROV it is rare to meet one. However I feel like the ROV transects are a more honest representation of the situation since you don’t turn around for movements… not quite sure how to best make it happen just yet

We have a theory - larger lionfish have gone deeper. When they first appeared, we’d find them at the top of the wall - 40-50 ft (about 15 m). Within a year or two, we’d rarely see them at the top of the wall and would find them 60-80 ft (20-25 m). Still see them at those depths, but our wall drops vertically to 6,000 ft, so I want to investigate the presence of lionfish on the wall deeper than we’d be able to go on scuba. If theory is confirmed, then I will try to work with the folks developing the robot lionfish killer to see if we can’t start culling deep water lionfish.

1 Like

Like it! So a similar situation as here. Only here in Crete the lion fish seem to take over shallow waters (20m and shallower) and also they stopped hiding in overhangs and are more and more seen free swimming…

Cocky bastards, aren’t they.

1 Like

oh yes, they sure are! Don’t seem to be afraid of anyone at this point… and rightly so… unfortunately