Using NI myRIO and LabVIEW with the 2.6 OpenROV Controller Board

My name is Steven and I'm new to the ROV community. I'm a high school student and starting the plans and CAD to build an ROV.

I wanted to reach out to the community to seek advice about using my NI myRIO and LabVIEW student edition with the 2.6 OpenROV Controller Board. Essentially replacing Beaglebone Black with NI myRIO and LabVIEW programing.

myRIO has an expansion port (MXP) connector and my thoughts were to use a shield adapter to connect the 2.6 OpenROV Controller Board to myRIO. I'm not sure if something like Diligent's shield adapter for NI myRIO, not yet released, would work or if anyone has another idea on how this could be achieved.

Thank you - Steven

Hy Steven,

If you want to bypass the beaglebone and interface directly to the ATMega on the controller board, the only requirement is to connect to the serial port lines that are exposed on the header pins.

You can use the SPI interface exposed on the board to program the ATMega chip.

Unfortunately for the NI myRIO, the header pins on the controller board are wired for the beaglebone shields, not the Arduino shields.

I'm not familiar with the myRIO, but also keep in mind that the controller board is exposing the connections at 3.3V to the beaglebone via a level converter...

-Brian