Urgent question! Do Bilge Pumps need ESC?

Being that the Motor and ESC cost about the same as a Bilge pump, I"m thinking of canceling order for brushless and ordering Bilge pump setup instead.

Can anyone answer? Please!

No. I run 2 bilge pumps in my boat and they are a straight 12v power. supply 12v on the + and they turn on. pending the - is also hooked up :)

Thank you! Just getting nervous as you can tell. Running 12v of c batteries probably not the best, especially since i'm planning on not being tethered to the surface.

Well if your not tethered you may want to do one of the 'upgrades' i plan for my rov when I deploy it. One of the places I want to deply is a 75' hole in the inlet waters around Charleston, SC. I fish it and I wanna take a look down in it for giggles. The hole is about 20' but if you get out of it the tidal currents are pretty strong and the ROV could be gone. Sometimes when I mark fishing spots I drop a buoy so I can anchor off the actual spot and cast/fish into it. I am going to take one of these and cut the lead weight off and tie it to the ROV. The string unrolls from the buoy as the device drops and I feel it is a good idea in case I hit the tides at the wrong time and I drop the ROV straight down into a nasty current If your planning full on wireless you may wish to consider the same.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Marker-Buoys/product/90247/

Awesome Thanks! I'm planning on making an underwater controller, I've heard wireless communication underwater is bad so I'll have it tethered just to the control. Unless I find a 72mhz controller. My version will be for snorkeling and Snuba on our trip. It'll be too expensive if i take scuba trips :(.

Have anyone experimented with wireless with the ROV?

Definitely taking up idea on Buoy!

you may not need it if your snorkeling with it. :)

Also, do you know of any of the OpenROV with wireless? it would be cool not to reinvent the wheel if someone has already figured it out.

Wireless underwater communication is for practical purposes, impossible. Here's a blurb from the ROV manual page 15: http://www.amazon.com/The-ROV-Manual-Observation-Remotely/dp/075068...:

Radio frequency (RF) waves penetrate only a few wavelengths into water due to water’s high attenuation of its energy. If the RF is of a low frequency, the waves will penetrate further into water due to longer wavelengths. But with decreasing RF frequencies, data transmission rates suffer. In order to perform remote inspection tasks, live video is needed at the surface so that decisions by humans can be made on navigating the vehicle and inspecting the target. Full tele-operation (under current technology) is possible only through a high-bandwidth data link.

With the UAV example above, full tele-operation was available via the RF link (through air) between the vehicle and the remote operator. In water, this full telemetry is not possible (with current technologies) through an RF link. Acoustic in-water data transmission (as of 2006) is limited to less than 100 kilobytes per second (insufficient for high-resolution video images).Ahard-wire link to the operating platformis needed to have a full tele-operational in-water link to the vehicle. Thus, the need exists for a hard-wire link of some type, in the foreseeable future, for real-time underwater inspection tasks.

Thank you Marcus. Thankfully, video will be recorded using a GoPro camera vs web cam. As a result, only the controller will be what is needed for wireless. I'll try to experiment with an rc car. I'll be less than 25 ft away from the ROV while snorkeling and no deeper than 15-20 ft.

so your plan is an underwater controller as well?

Yes, be able to swim out and control while Snorkeling. :) I plan on using the GoPro App to view the video feed that will possibly be part of the control or at least attached some how.

Genpfault and I got our 320x240 h.264 video link running under 120kbps for a remote-control car we built. I might also use it on my plane. It isn't high bandwidth, but certainly enough for remote-control.