Uploading Arduino firmware directly via Arduino IDE

I want to test my own Arduino code on OpenROV. The arduino I have does not contain any usb input. So I am using an external ISP programmer (Pololu usb avr programmer driver). I selected Arduino Mega 2560 in Board selection menu and tried with both of AVRISP and AVRISP mkII programmer selection. However I am not able to program it and got this following error:

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Pratap:

On the OROV 2.5 and 2.6 controller boards, we used the Pololu ISP programmer ( I think its the Model 1300) to load the bootloader and self-test code. It works well but is very picky about how it is set up. Attached are some directions that I put together to get it to work correctly. You won't need to do the step about burning the bootloader, that has already been done on the controller board that you have.

-W

56-ArduinoISPintructions.rtf (2.52 KB)

Hey Walt,

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your so early response. I tried your steps and it worked. You are right it is very picky about the setup.

Sorry to ask again but is it possible to enable serial communication with the Arduino Board. I noticed that the serial monitor of IDE did not work. I tried putty's serial communication also that also did not work. I am using the basic example 'analog read serial'. One more thing I want to mention that after installing drivers for Pololu programmar. I found two ports in the device manager. One for programmer and the other one for 'usb ttl serial'. So feel like serial communication is supposed to work with it.

If you already know if there is an issue with serial communication please tell me. Also please suggest me some alternative of serial communication with the Arduino.

I want to get serial message via usb ttl serial too.Could you give me some suggestion ?