Unofficial macOS control app for the Trident Drone

Greetings enthusiasts!

Unofficial, free and open-source macOS control app for the Sofar Trident Underwater Drone is out! Not all features released yet, but it is off to a good start. Please try to check out.
https://github.com/DimaRU/TridentCockpit

2 Likes

This looks really cool!

New updated version with gamepad support.
https://github.com/DimaRU/TridentCockpit/releases/tag/1.0.0

In next release: support GoPro3/3+ control underwater. Will be supported: on, off, start, stop and live streaming.

1 Like

New version 2.0 is out.

What’s new:

• Improved connection stability to the Trident.
  • Now you can view and download past dive videos.
  • The most wanted feature - payload connectivity via Trident WiFi:

GoPro Hero 3/3+ camera full control implemented: recording, power control, and live video streaming.

Wow, this is so cool! Awesome, thanks!

@dmitry I’ve been browsing your code and you must have been putting in a lot of effort!

1. I have no experience with iptables but was wondering if your PayloadProvision.sh could be modified to be standalone with hardcoded IP:Ports?

2. Then would a user be able to connect the GoPro App through the Topside? I was able to use the Android Cockpit app to connect the Trident RPi WiFi to the GoPro WiFi AP.

3. Are you able to use the GoPro app connected to the Topside AP when your macOS app is running?

4. If I tried using iptables, could I mess up the Trident such that a reboot wouldn’t recover?

5. With the resinIO, what’s the correct way to run a script at startup?

6. Have you noticed any BW limitations with the GoPro live streaming?

7. What GoPro resolution are you using?

8. How have you mounted the GoPro? I’m curious about WiFi reliability with different mounting orientations and distance from the Trident hull. Is the reliability with it mounted shooting down with the back of the GoPro against the Trident hull better than shooting forward?

9. Maybe mention your Patreon user name in the GitHub README.md to make it super easy do donate.

Apologize for all the questions, but I don’t have a Mac.

Bill

Thank you for your support on Patreon and for your questions, Bill. This is very valuable to me. I’ll be happy to help in any way I can.
First of all, I’m happy to announce that there will soon be a working app for iPhone / iPad. Migrating an app from macOS to iOS is not very difficult. The alpha version with MFi gamepad support is already working. In fact, the most difficult part of the job is to fix bugs and improve the FastRTPS code.
Unfortunately, the official GoPro app is hard-coded to use the magic address 10.5.5.9, so it is not possible to make a script that supports the official app. That’s why I had to implement my own GoPro support. Perhaps something can be done by changing the topside firmware.
For this script to work correctly, you need to know the local address of the connected computer or tablet, which may change. Adding a script to autoload may cause the drone to work incorrectly. I use the “memory-only” script, all changes are erased after the drone restarts.

Resolution used for GoPro HERO4 Black and lower: 432x240 for 16:9 and 320x240 for 4:3. It is low and does not cause any problems. I used a retail packaging plate as a mount and attached it from the bottom. Other placements need to be experimented with, but I don’t think there will be problems.

The main problem for GoPro 3 is the high video delay (3-5 seconds). New GoPro models don’t have this problem and we can use the GoPro live stream with 720p resolution as the main video and turn off Trident live stream.

Wow!!! Thank you much

And now for iPad/iPhone: link.

Nice work all around lol. BTW, how’s the buoyancy compensation for the GoPro? I had a tough time doing the same thing and getting the CG CB back into place.

I haven’t faced with this problem. Anyway, the GoPro Hero 8 with case only weighs around 150g, it’s easy to compensate.

Am using the iPad app (v 2 (15). I used it to download movies from the Trident to the app. So now I have movies in your app that no longer have the download icon, but instead have the check-mark icon under the play button. I assume that means they are downloaded and local on my iPad. But I can’t find them in my Photos app under movies. I note I can choose one of the downloaded movies and another check-mark appears in the upper right (selected). Then I see in the top icon bar of the app is a download symbol. When I touch that, nothing happens at all. Is there any way to get the movie out of the iPad app? Where can those movies be found and accessed? I’d like to share them with friends, but they are locked in the app. Any advice? thanks

You will find downloaded videos in the Files app on your iPad. Also, you can import videos in the Finder app for macOS or iTunes for PC. (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210598)