Underwater Tiny Robot for Water Quality Sensing

Hello,

We are a research group and wish to control a swarm of underwater robots with water quality sensors installed in them. The control algorithm will be based on water quality sensors, depth, pressure and temperature measurements that we get from the drone.

Our search on open-source underwater robots is on-going and I wanted to inquire if you have any suggestions/ comments for us. We were hoping to get underwater robots for less than $1,000 each. There were a few products such as ROBOSEA BIKI, Chasing Dory etc. However, they don’t have open source API or sonic remote control for us to play with its control. Some ROVs are very bulky and we need a lighter version. We found Trident to be a more costly solution. However, their team says it’s not open-source as of yet.

Ideally we’d like to stay in range of $500 to $1,500. Thanks and looking forward to your replies.

The Trident now has an open-source control app. https://github.com/DimaRU/TridentCockpit

Thank you. This is very helpful. I have a question: This app is unofficial. Does that mean we, as a third party, can write functions for communicating with Trident? In other words, is communication with Trident open-source? Is there any documentation on how to develop a controller for Trident? Thanks.

From a legal point of view, there are no restrictions.
From a technical point of view, unfortunately, no complete open documentation exists, but IDL files describing Trident communication and control data structures are open. I performed some reverse-engineering the transmission protocol for a complete understanding of how the Trident functions.