Trident Tether Construction?

Has anybody yet accidentally cut the Trident tether and can elaborate on the construction? Is it a two wire tether despite the three contacts in the connector? It looks identical to the old neutrally buoyant tether - is this the case?

I’m considering using some old disconnects from my OpenROV 2.6 to cobble together a longer tether - I have laying around another 50 m of the old neutral buoyant tether, I’d like to be able to use that in case I have to go further, e. g. along a pipe…

Thanks, Jorre

I haven’t managed to accidentally cut my tender (thankfully), but I’d venture a guess that there are three conductors in the tender; DC+, DC-, and Data.

Hey guys,

The tether for Trident has two conductors (just like the neutrally buoyant tether we sell for the 2-series). One of the three pins on the connector is not connected to anything, but that pin on the vehicle is used for charging the batteries.

Keep in mind that if the tether is extended very far beyond 100m (maybe over 120m or so) it will start to have trouble delivering enough power to support the topside, especially durring startup. We’ve been considering an adapter that could supplement power to the topside to allow (much) longer tethers, and I’d love to gauge how much interest there would be in that sort of a thing.

Best of luck with your project- please let us know what you’re aiming to do!

Eric