Trident - Questions about battery and max depth ++

Hi
I’m considering pre-ordering the Trident, but there is not much information about it on this site. It’s a big investment, I wan’t to be sure before I place the order.

1. Max depth - 100 meters seems to be the max depth, I wish to go deeper, the sea is deep around here. What is the limiting factor? Tether lenght? Pressure hull?

2. Battery - 3 hours of battery life is good, but I foresee needing more than that one some projects. Can the battery pack be replaced in the field? If not, How long does it take to recharge it at the max rate it can handle?

3. Camera - I see that the camera is streaming HD, but I also saw the developers test the Trident with the casing for a Gopro attached to the hull. Is there some limitation with the onboard camera that makes you want to strap a Gopro to it?

4. Delivery time - Can you give me an estimated time my Trident is ready to ship if I order today? I know you start shipping in November, but there are probably a lot of orders ahead of mine.

Thank you.

Having ordered a Trident some time agoo I am really disappointed that I receive no information about progress, final caracteristics and delivery period.

You give your credit card and after that … wait and see (and hope) !

Hey asbjoern85! Hopefully I can clarify some of this for you.

1. The 100m depth limit is set by the maximum pressure the body of the vehicle can withstand. Some safety factor has been added to this, but if you want to go a lot deeper than that, you’ll probably want to look into VideoRay Pro 4 or Seabotix LBV 150-4.

2. To ensure reliability, the batteries and other electronics are mounted permanently inside the vehicle so that the seal can be professionally laid and tested in the factory. That being said, the electronics are being designed so that charging takes about the same time (~3 hours) as the vehicle can run. For major expeditions that have multiple vehicles, this would allow one vehicle to charge while the other is in operation. It’s also possible that an accessory could be made that would allow power to be sent down the tether, however the focus now is getting the core Trident design solid before developing accessories.

3. The video quality of Trident’s onboard camera is excellent and I think people are going to be pretty amazed by it. Adding a GoPro isn’t for capturing better video, but rather for capturing video looking in other directions. Many researchers and divers want to make photomosaics of the places they fly over, so we thought it would be good to add mounting holes for GoPros (and other payloads) to the bottom of the vehicle).

4. It’s hard to say when the exact shipping date would be since batch size logistics are still being organized, but our goal is to have most of the pre-orders out by March. We’re going to ship orders in the order they’re received.

Thanks for the very good questions, and please write back if there’s anything I missed!

Eric

Marcolinger-

Oh no! I’m sorry you haven’t seen any of our updates! We’ve been posting a lot of what we’re up to in general on our Facebook page, and you can also check our Kickstarter page for public updates which we try to put up fairly regularly. Here’s a recent one that should give you a good idea about where we’re at. We definitely want to keep a good conversation going about what we’re up to and what people who’ve purchased Trident are interested in, so if there’s anything you want to know, don’t hesitate to ask here on the forums. We’ve been careful not to spam people’s inboxes, but maybe it would be good for us to be a little more liberal there. Thanks for pointing that out!

Eric

Hi Eric, thanks for taking the time for such long answers!

1. Both the VideoRay and Seabotix ROVs are outside of my price range, and I believe the Trident is a better product overall. I expected the limiting factor to be the pressure hull. I assume there is a pressure hull inside the outer hydrodynamic hull, a sealed box or cylinder. Maybe I can modify the Trident with a stronger cylinder or what ever it is to get me the extra depth I need. 250 meters covers 99% of the wrecks in the area, most are at 30-60 meters. One is at 850 meters, I won’t try to get the Trident down there. :slight_smile:

2. The way you worded that, “so that the seal can be professionally laid” makes me think the electronics are not housed in a cylinder. Having the battery permanently installed at the factory does seem like a more reliable solution than the users resealing the housings every time they use the ROV.
    A charge time of 3 hours in not that bad, we probably need a break after staring at the screen for ~3 hours anyway. I would buy the the thru-tether charging accessory if you decide to make one.

3. I was hoping the Gopro was just to capture different angles. I’m glad to hear that the built in camera has excellent video quality.

4. I realize it’s difficult to predict dates for something like this. March sounds ok to me.

Asbjørn

Dear Eric,

Thanks a lot for this information !!!
I am sorry for my message but you should inform at least the people who have orderd a Trident that these information sources exist. I was not aware of this.

I will have a nice end of week-end reading all this !

Thanks a lot !

Hello Eric,
If the body is totaly sealed, how can the battery be replaced or another electronic component be exchanged ?
Marc

Asbjorn,

Glad to hear your response! Your conclusion about the pressure hull is correct- Trident’s hydrodynamic shape is actually structural. During the design phase we did a huge amount of Finite Element Analysis to design a lattice pattern that can handle tremendous external pressure. Unfortunately, I think 250m is far enough out of its safety factor that you wouldn’t be able to dive that deep with it in any circumstance.

We’ve actually been doing some empirical tests with urethane cast prototypes this week which have so far re-enforced our crush depth estimations from FEA, and we are debating whether to fly one of our (extremely expensive) Trident prototypes when we dive the SS Tahoe shipwreck at a depth of 110m next week. Stay tuned on our Facebook page on June 7th and 8th for that!

I’ll try to keep everyone up to date with production schedules and test results as we learn more.

Thanks for the interest and encouragement!

Eric