Thunder Tiger Neptune SB-1

Hello,
I am new to ROV’s. I have a project and have some questions on what to do.
I have a Thunder Tiger SB-1 sub. Is there anyone here who is familiar with this sub?
It is originally a radio controlled “static dive” submarine. I wish to control it using the
2.8 OpenRov system. It is using a 12v sealed lead acid battery. A brushed 550 motor for thrust and its own ESC. A 555 brushed motor for the ballast system. A fail-safe control board that allows the ballast pump to be operated manually or automatically purge ballast water if a leak is sensed , or if to much internal pressure is sensed. I believe it would also purge if radio signal was lost.
I want to know how to hook this up to the 2.8 wire harness. Also should I incorporate the sub’s original fail-safe board?

I have already purchased the 2.8 Developer’s Kit and IMU.

@j8rick62,
Are you sure that there will be enough room in the SB-1’s hull to house the OpenROV 2.8 Controller Board?
Also, the addition of the OpenROV 2.8 Controller Board is probably going to change the weight of the submarine and therefore its buoyancy.
The OpenROV 2.8 Controller Board ESCs are designed to drive brushless motors whereas your motors (550/555) are dc brushed motors and are therefore not compatible with the OpenROV 2.8 Controller Board ESCs.
I suggest that you consider abandoning using the SB-1 and consider building your own WTC/Frame and use the OpenROV brushless motors and propellers. You might want to consider this ROV configuration.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

Thank you,
well as for physical capacity for the boards, this is not a problem. I have plenty of ballast weights to add or remove to achieve the correct buoyancy. Ultimately I will move on to the openrov craft.
I also realize that the onboard ESC’s will not match the brushed motors. I just wanted to take this in steps.
First step was to use the ESC and motor already in the craft, and not use the 2.8 controller boards ESC’s at this time. Then I wanted to use the OPENROV 2.8 ESC’s and brushless motors and get away from the old brushed motors.
then I would move on to the OpenROV craft.

By the way, I like the example that you suggested. I will go that rout in
time. I just have this SB-1 already, and it is disassembled down to the WTC.
I want to do the least invasive wiring or simplest wiring. Perhaps in the
future the most I would have to replace would be the wire harness.
I think that you are correct overall.

In a message dated 10/1/2016 13:22:17 Eastern Daylight Time,
openrov@discoursemail.com writes:

_TCIII_ (https://forum.openrov.com/users/tciii)  

October 1
@j8rick62 (https://forum.openrov.com/users/j8rick62) ,
Are you sure that there will be enough room in the SB-1’s hull to house
the OpenROV 2.8 Controller Board?
Also, the addition of the OpenROV 2.8 Controller Board is probably going
to change the weight of the submarine and therefore its buoyancy.
The OpenROV 2.8 Controller Board ESCs are designed to drive brushless
motors whereas your motors (550/555) are dc brushed motors and are therefore
not compatible with the OpenROV 2.8 Controller Board ESCs.
I suggest that you consider abandoning using the SB-1 and consider
building your own WTC/Frame and use the OpenROV brushless motors and propellers.
You might want to consider this ROV configuration
(https://youtu.be/4p2t4tTEzRQ) .
Regards,
TCIII AVD

Visit Topic
(Thunder Tiger Neptune SB-1) or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
(https://forum.openrov.com/email/unsubscribe/632c4f8eb94a76e6525db97b0182999982ad1f0096a2821607cc7909fe7
fbe4e) .

Okay, perhaps I use 2.8’s thrusters and esc’s. Those mounted on the exterior of this sub ( I like this idea better). Also I do away with the Static dive system, which is also less complicated.

My question would now be simply how to hook up my 12V battery? Using the existing wire harness leads? Would I connect on one of the battery lead sets, or to both sets. Since the 2.8 uses two battery tubes.

Thank you

@j8rick62
I would put the two positive (+) battery wires on the (+) terminal of the battery and the two negative (-) battery wires on the (-) terminal of the battery.
I have run my OpenROV 2.8 Controller Board that way except I was using a 13.8 vdc battery eliminator instead of two separate batteries.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

Thank you, That is much appreciated