The Rov Needs More Stuff You Can Buy For It Like Accesorys

payloads

This Is My Own Thing I Have Used Rovs For 5 Years Now

1. a Flote

2.a Robotic Arm

3.a case and Monitor A portible Storage And Viewing And Contrulling Cace

Sorry For MY inability To Spell

but i havent buyed one of thees rovs yet

I also think this is a good idea. While I imagine OpenROV may someday have some of these items in the store, we may find it more or equally useful to offer items for sale amongst each other. I believe this would go a long way in further advancing the OROV technology.

For instance, if Hub offered this for sale http://openrov.com/forum/topics/magnetic-coupled-grabber-first-working-prototype?commentId=6365107%3AComment%3A100106 I'd line up for one. It would allow me to start quickly and add to anm already proven system instead of struggling to start from scratch. And, I am sure they are countless of other examples of useful add-ons others have done.

Perhaps David would consider adding a "For Sale" category to the forums. Just a thought.

Charles

This is a good idea. First off, I completely agree that we need all of those things. I'm eager to try Hub's arm - it looks awesome.

I'm very open to helping people "productize" their add ons and help get them out to the community. As you can imagine, making a 100 or 1,000 of something at a specific price point is quite a different beast than making a prototype. More on this soon!

Hi David

I just finished making a sample of a "kit" and will send it to you. So you can see, wether you can make your own kit to be sold by Openrov. I add a pitcure of the "kit" here, so people can see which parts I used. None of the parts are critical, so maybe the picture enables others to make their own grabber. what I did not add is the little wheels on the outer part of the coupler(not absolutely neccessary under wet conditions, you can alternatively also apply some silicone-grease) and the cylindrical float which I used to compensate the weight.

Above you see my grabber with the float and the wheels, below are the parts as I send it to you. you probalbly need to click on the picture to see it completely.

Hub

I have used ROVs for no years, but I'm putting together one and I too have been reflecting on extensibility. One thing that I would like to see is some sort of water quality or water composition sensor. I don't know how practical this is but being able to make some chemical observations about the water might be kind of cool.

Nice! Im looking forward to buying one! Is there a software update needed for this too?

Hello Aaron,

The timing of this post is very strange, in a very good way :)

I had the pleasure of attending David Lang's talk at MakerFaire this weekend and while waiting for the presentation to start, I struck up a great conversation with Patrick Di Justo who was selling books near the stage. He co-authored "Environmental Monitoring with Arduino" . We spoke specifically about the chapter on measuring water conductivity/quality.

Check out the resources bellow. I encourage you to get the book ( I would be of disservice to share the entire chapter, the e-book is only $5), try the experiment and share your results with us. Patrick is very approachable, I imagine you could contact him through O'Reilly and can offer more insight into his experiment as well.

(click the image to read)

Hello,

I was thinking of a way to mark a spot while exploring with the OROV, like with a float or something. The idea is that if it's something interesting on the bottom you on the surface would like to pinpoint its location. Sorry if this was already discussed!