Original post : July 12, 2017
I wanted to write a quick update to give you the latest information on our Design Validation Testing progress.
In our last update we described some issues that we found with our T2 injection molded parts, and we’ve been working with our tooling manufacturer to do a T3 iteration to correct them. Frustratingly, the T3 shots also fell short of passing our internal QC process due to an error made by the manufacturer that affects the structural integrity of the vehicle's screw bosses. While the issue is correctable, making the necessary changes means we’ve needed to move to T4 which should be complete in about two weeks. We're currently focused on ensuring that this step has minimal impact on timeline, and we’ve found a way to modify some of the T3 samples to test our assembly process in parallel with the tooling re-work. Clearly this is not news we’d like to give, but we feel it is important to keep everyone in the loop about what we learn and what we’re doing about it. We’re doing everything we can to keep the remaining wait as short as possible while still making sure to get the product right.
We’ve resisted sending out explicit ship dates because everything is so variable right now, and we don’t want to give a date that people start planning on, only to move it if we learn of something else that needs to change. We know that several people have specific projects coming up in the next few months that they would like to have Tridents for. Please feel free to reach out to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have related questions or concerns. We will continue to send updates about specifics as soon as we get higher-resolution information.
We have good news to report, too.
We received the injection molded parts for our WiFi Topside Modules (made by a different injection molding house) and I’m happy to say that those parts look great. I had planned to write more about the details of the final topside adapters in this update, but when we learned about needing to move to T4 shots, I thought it would be better to send that information out right away. We will write another update that goes over topside progress and other DVT advances we’ve made in more detail soon.
Every ounce of our focus is on making Trident excellent and shipping it as soon as possible. Again, if you have any timeline-related questions, please feel free to contact us.
Thank you once again for your support and patience.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://blog.openrov.com/t4-iteration-needed-on-shell-parts-trident-kickstarter-update-23/