[solved] What is this mystery electrical device?

solved
sos
electronics

I barely missed this but luckily I had the internals on top of white piece of paper and I was able to see this. I am not sure if this came off the BB or the openrov board. I wasnt able to function the motors, lights, lasers, or servo arm. I couldn't see this item missing from the bottom of the BB. I noticed when I last connected to the control page the batteries indicated red with no percentage so maybe it was just the batteries being low, i'll know after i finish charging them.

Wow. That looks like a component off of the controller board.

Sure looks like a resistor, if you have a ohm meter you can measure it's resistance. If you know where it may have come from then you can look at the schematic diagram and make sure it is the correct size resistor and solder it back on which could be tricky but doable.

I plugged in the fully charged batteries and the cockpit still shows the battery level as red with no voltage. I dont have my ohm meter with me now, once i get home I can try to measure that. My guess is that until the resistor is replaced or the board is replaced then the cockpit will fully work again.

I have had poor luck in the past trying to solder components that small. Any recommended procedures? Can direct me to the schematic?

Looks like it came from C1 on the openrov controller board.

I noticed the ESC 1 is angled towards where the resistor was, I wonder if the ESC help remove the resistor from the board.

If you think it is C1 then that is a Capacitor. That is just a filter capacitor at the +12V input which should not prevent the card from powering up and you should be able to work without it.

It's a capacitor, resistors normally aren't brownish like that, but are Black and have numbers on them like 101...

A "fairly" easy way is to remove tin from both solderpads and the add little to one pad. Then with a small tweezer hold the capacitor on to the tin and then reheat it so it connects.

Then it's just solder the last pad.

Hope it's understandable English, as I'm Danish so maybe not using correct Words.

Oh forgot to mention.

I can't see if solder-ends of the capacitor is damaged by being pulled off.

If that is the case you have to turn it upside Down so where sonderends are missing is away from the pcb.

Carsten,

Thanks for the clear advice. I will try to find some videos of this and then see how I feel about it.

I will have to take a closer look to see the condition of the soldered ends.

It's not that important to have c1 missing and it should not stop the ROV from working.

I think it is a resistor or diode as it is black the capacitors are brown. You can do a diode and resistor check with a multi meter. If it is a diode be sure to replace it the right way round as they are polarity concuss (you can check data for the component of the web if you can read a spec on it or usually they have markings).

As for re soldering I recommend using a hot air solder gun for surface mounted components. There are several on the market (and second hand) I use a Weller and good investment you can also have a go at making one if you have time.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/07/how-to-make-a-surface-mount-sold...

http://www.usbmicro.com/documents/ACC430664DD26DDE5986574AAA62775FD...

If you had a picture of the whole circuit board it may be easier to look for the missing component.Also has the board been lacquered (protected) if so once replaced and tested it may need a cover (small) of lacquer on the component (clear nail varnish).

Ps you can use foil to protect other components when using the hot air gun but if you are quick and a steady hand no need.Also a pair of needle nose tweezers to hold and place the component .

Good luck

I found someone at my work who has experience soldering components that small. I am still not getting a response from the board after I connected everything back up. Is there a troubleshooting guide for the board if I don't get any response from it when I am connected?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to test the small component for resistance, capacitance, or if it was a diode. The picture of the component I submitted before wasn't good resolution, it looks light brown to me. Does the polarity of C1 matter during installation?

I have not lacquered the components but I like the idea of it and will look into after I figure out why its not turning on.

See pictures below of all the circuit board sides and let me know if anyone sees something. If someone has a birds eye view of new board I can use that as a reference and compare the images side by side.

David,

Before I got C1 resoldered on I didn't get a response from the controller board. What else might be wrong? See below, C1 is installed now but I still have the same problem. Does the polarity or orientation of C1 matter?

-Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

To power up the board for bench testing:

1. Check to make sure you have +12v on the DB25 connector between the pins 4&5, 6&7 where pins 4&7 are ground & 5&6 are +12v.

2. install jumpers on the control board at locations J12 & J17 these will power up the board and bypass the Homeplug adapter & +5V on the tether that is used to power up the Control card.

you should now see the led's light up on the control card & BBB

Hi Jimmy:

I think you're getting distracted by the capacitor that fell off- it should not have had any significant effect on the operation of the board.

The symptoms you're describing make it seem that the Arduino on the controller board is not running properly. Quick question- after powering up the ROV, did you download the software to the controller board (see the Dozuki instructions for 2.6, step #82). If you've done this, can you post a screenshot of the telemetry page on the right side of cockpit?

-W

I confirmed that I have at least 12 volts on pins 4&5 and 6&7.

I didn't try to jumper the control board as I tried what Walt was saying below.

Walt thanks for the advice.

Before I ran into the problem of not being able to control the lights, motors, and servo I was able to download the software to the controller board. I was able to calibrate the ESCs, get the battery percentage, amperage, etc.

Now the telemetry page looks the way it did before i downloaded the software.

So I tried to download the software again and I got a error message that some others got.

avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

undefinedstaging: build dir is /tmp/tmp.wrAm9Thlun
staged src in to build folder
src/OpenROV.ino
Searching for Arduino lib version file (version.txt) ... /usr/share/arduino/lib/version.txt
Detecting Arduino software version ... 1.0.5 (1.0.5)
Scanning dependencies of src
Scanning dependencies of arduino
Scanning dependencies of EEPROM
Scanning dependencies of SPI
Scanning dependencies of Wire
src/Timer.cpp
src/MPUQuaternion.cpp
src/MinIMU_LSM303.cpp
src/MinIMU9AHRS.cpp
src/MinIMU9.cpp
src/MS5803_14BA.cpp
src/Pilot.cpp
src/CalLib.cpp
src/MPU9150Lib.cpp
src/controllerboard25.cpp
src/openrov_servo.cpp
src/CameraMount.cpp
src/MPUVector3.cpp
src/MinIMU_L3G.cpp
src/MinIMU_DCM.cpp
src/Settings.cpp
src/MinIMU_I2C.cpp
src/Motors.cpp
src/Lights.cpp
src/inv_mpu.cpp
src/inv_mpu_dmp_motion_driver.cpp
src/Pin.cpp
src/MPU9150.cpp
src/MinIMU_Vector.cpp
src/MinIMU_matrix.cpp
src/Thrusters2X1.cpp
src/Command.cpp
src/Device.cpp
src/CalibrationLaser.cpp
src/MinIMU_Output.cpp
src/FreeMem.cpp
src/Cape.cpp
src/I2Cdev.cpp
src/MinIMU_Compass.cpp
src/OpenROV.cpp
EEPROM/EEPROM.cpp
Linking libEEPROM.a
SPI/SPI.cpp
Linking libSPI.a
Wire/utility/twi.c
Wire/Wire.cpp
Linking libWire.a
arduino/wiring_pulse.c
arduino/wiring_shift.c
arduino/wiring_analog.c
arduino/wiring_digital.c
arduino/wiring.c
arduino/WInterrupts.c
arduino/avr-libc/malloc.c
arduino/avr-libc/realloc.c
arduino/WMath.cpp
arduino/HardwareSerial.cpp
arduino/USBCore.cpp
arduino/Stream.cpp
arduino/main.cpp
arduino/WString.cpp
arduino/new.cpp
arduino/Print.cpp
arduino/Tone.cpp
arduino/HID.cpp
arduino/IPAddress.cpp
arduino/CDC.cpp
Linking libarduino.a
Linking firmware.elf
Converting to firmware.hex
Searching for Board description file (boards.txt) ... /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/boards.txt
Searching for Arduino lib version file (version.txt) ... /usr/share/arduino/lib/version.txt
Detecting Arduino software version ... 1.0.5 (1.0.5)
Searching for Arduino core library ... /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino
Searching for Arduino standard libraries ... /usr/share/arduino/libraries
Searching for Arduino variants directory ... /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/variants
Searching for make ... /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/make
Searching for avr-gcc ... /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc
Searching for avr-g++ ... /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++
Searching for avr-ar ... /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-ar
Searching for avr-objcopy ... /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-objcopy
Setting up uploader
Initiating arduino reset on pin 32

avrdude: Version 6.1-svn-20130917, compiled on Dec 25 2013 at 20:39:41
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/etc/avrdude.conf"
User configuration file is "/root/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/ttyO1
Using Programmer : arduino
Arduino reset set high, Arduino enabled.
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

It seems to keep attempting so I just stop it there.

I am leverging post this http://openrov.com/forum/topics/trouble-loading-code-into-cape-bd?id=6365107%3ATopic%3A34028&page=1#comments

After quickly glancing thru the post I am thinking that I need to change the speed in the boards.txt file that others had success with.

I am still wondering how the cockpit showed the updated software before but now somehow went away.

Hey Jimmy,

The controller board based systems don't have the same speed and timing issues that the cape based boards did. The issue you are seeing is due to the board detection system at some point trying to upload through serial (ttyO1) vs SPI (spidev). We have an open issue on this but have not yet tracked down what is going on. This is TYPICALLY a transient problem and cycling power should allow uploading to work again.

There is a thread somewhere in the forums where someone mentioned they manually overroad the result of the board detection in the /var/run/rov_board file and changed it from cape to controllerboard. I have not tested this but if the issue persists that *might* be worth a try.

Definitely keep us in the loop!

-Brian

A few updates....I work with Jimmy on the rov....I changed the rov_board file to "controllerboard" and it appeared to work however the compileing time was very short. I then reloaded the software from the gui and afterwards the GUI looked the same. After doing a little reading I then tried changing it to "controllerboard25" and I got a pretty long build sequence but then an error: the text is below. Any Thoughts?

Thanks,

Eddie

349-openrrov2.txt (43.9 KB)

We were able to fix our problems by getting a new openrov controller board.