[SOLVED] Questions about Trident before pre-ordering

Hi guys!

First of all, sorry if this is under the wrong category, but I couldn’t find one that is related to the Trident product.

I think you guys are doing an amazing work with the Trident, and I’m about to pre-order it (the one with a hard case and 100m tether) .

I live in the middle of the Baltic Sea (The Aaland islands, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Åland_Islands) where there are plenty of waters (both sea and fresh water lakes) to explore, and also many ship wrecks :slight_smile:

But before I pre-order it, I would like to ask a few questions that I hope you have the answers for:

1. For how long will the pre-sales campaign go on?

2. Will the Trident be able to go in reverse? I assume that will be possible, but I can’t remember seeing any videos where it does that. And I imagine that it will come in handy in some situations.

3. If any of the parts (electrical or mechanical) in Trident stops working/breaks, will it be possible to open it up and change those, or do you have to throw the whole thing away and buy a new one? Because no matter how good the parts are, there is always a possibility of something breaking, and if everything is in a sealed case/cast you are pretty much screwed.

4. Will you have any sorts of warranty? If yes, can you give some hint of what it will be like? Will I get a new Trident if it is not due to any “pilot/driver failure”?

5. Will there be a gamepad/remote control included in the package, or do you have a list of which gamepads that will work with Trident?

6. I have read that there will be different attachments available in the future (for example extra lights, grip claw etc.) Will most of those be available for purchase on your web page, or will that only be from third party “developers” that I have to search for my self on the web?

7. Will it be possible to upgrade the software in Trident and will you continue develop it for better image quality, better accuracy in calculating the position of the Trident and also maybe add new features?

Thank you in advance!

Trident Warranty

Nobody that can help out with answers for one or two of the questions?

1. Yes, The trident will be able to reverse.

2. They probably won’t include game pad, but take a look at this thread: Survey: How well does you gamepad work with this test page? There will be UI’s for tablets and phones as well as laptops.

3. Yes, The software for the 2x series has had many updates. I believe this will continue with the Trident.

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you (and thank you, Brendan, for helping to answer some of these questions)!

I’ve copied and pasted your questions below so I can answer in-line.

1. For how long will the pre-sales campaign go on?
We plan to continue pre-selling Tridents through the time we start shipping, but the pre-sale price may increase in the next month or two. An important thing to note is that we will be fulfilling pre-sales in the order they were placed, so earlier orders will receive their Trident earlier.

2. Will the Trident be able to go in reverse? I assume that will be possible, but I can’t remember seeing any videos where it does that. And I imagine that it will come in handy in some situations.
Yep! All three thrusters on Trident are fully reversible, so the vehicle can move forward and backward, turn, and go up and down.

3. If any of the parts (electrical or mechanical) in Trident stops working/breaks, will it be possible to open it up and change those, or do you have to throw the whole thing away and buy a new one? Because no matter how good the parts are, there is always a possibility of something breaking, and if everything is in a sealed case/cast you are pretty much screwed.
(both questions answered below)

4. Will you have any sorts of warranty? If yes, can you give some hint of what it will be like? Will I get a new Trident if it is not due to any “pilot/driver failure”?

We are still working on the details of our repair and return policy, but we plan to stand by our product. One of the main focuses in the design of Trident has been to make it drastically more reliable than any other ROV on the market. That being said, if something does go wrong we want to make sure there is a reasonable solution for fixing it. Internal components most often fail due to mishandling and leaks, and for that reason the body of Trident is sealed at the factory to assure that that process is done correctly. In general, failures most often occur to moving parts such as motors, so in addition to making our thrusters as robust as possible, we’ve also designed them to be user-replaceable should the need occur.

5. Will there be a gamepad/remote control included in the package, or do you have a list of which gamepads that will work with Trident?
Trident can be controlled directly from any WiFi device it is connected to such as a smartphone, tablet, or laptop. We’ve developed our software to also allow external gamepads to be connected to these devices to give pilots a higher level of control sensitivity. For laptops, most USB gamepad controllers should work, but the most popular and affordable one people use for OpenROV is the Logitech F310. If you want the best of the best, my recommendation would be the Sony DualShock 4 PS4 controller. PS4 controllers are more expensive, but in our experience they are worth it. PS4 controllers also support bluetooth which can allow them to connect wirelessly to both laptops and mobile devices without USB.

6. I have read that there will be different attachments available in the future (for example extra lights, grip claw etc.) Will most of those be available for purchase on your web page, or will that only be from third party “developers” that I have to search for my self on the web?
We plan to sell an array of payloads and accessories for Trident as OpenROV products in our store. Over time, we hope our catalog of available accessories as well as the sophistication of those accessories will increase. We also expect that you’ll also be able to find more niche payloads (such as sensors used for specific types of scientific research, etc) as 3rd party items that can be found elsewhere. Building a community and ecosystem around our platform is important to us, so we hope new ideas for payloads will be developed and shared here on our forums. We also plan to make parts and kits for developing custom payloads available in our store.

7. Will it be possible to upgrade the software in Trident and will you continue develop it for better image quality, better accuracy in calculating the position of the Trident and also maybe add new features?
Absolutely! We will constantly be working on improvements and new features for our software. We’re also developing a way to make downloading and installing those updates as easy as possible. Many IOT devices today struggle with sending out new software to products that have already been shipped, but we hope to make Trident a device that can constantly be improved as development progresses.

I hope these answer your questions, but please feel free to write back of there’s anything else you’d like to know about. We’re really excited to be working on what we believe is the most functional and reliable underwater exploration tool in the world.

Thanks!

Eric

Hi Brendan!

Thank you for your reply, it cleared up a few things for me :slight_smile:

Hi Eric!

Thank you for your reply, I was almost starting to lose my hope in getting the answers :slight_smile:

I must say that I am very impressed about the work that you and the other guys are putting into this project, and I can’t wait to have a Trident of my own! I have per-ordered it now so I won’t miss out :wink:

Have a nice day, and good luck with everything about this product/project!

/Peter

Thank you for your order, Peter! We hope you will really like Trident!

Also, thanks again for your patience in waiting for a reply. It’s been quite busy here and I got a bit behind in checking the forums.

I really look forward to seeing how your exploration of the Aaland islands goes!

Eric