Sneak Peek: VR Cockpit (Trident Kickstarter Update #5)

I’m happy to report my DJI Goggles (Racing Edition) is working perfectly with my Trident controller. The cable required is a male HDMI-Type C (HDMI Mini) to a male HDMI-Type D (HDMI-Micro). The cable I used is below. Even though the HDMI-Type C connector on the Trident’s Controller is somewhat recessed, the cable did not require any modifications to fit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0149VIT12/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately (at least so far) I haven’t found the cable required to connect my DJI CrystalSky Monitor to the Trident’s Controller: USB-C to HDMI-Type C (Mini-HDMI). If anyone knows of a source for this cable please let me know. Thanks.

Great. How did you get the app for you CrystalSky?

I use a CrystalSky monitor with my Trident as well. You have to side load the APK onto the CrystalSky. I use https://apkpure.com/ to get the actual APK file from the store, then download it on my Mac. Copy it to an SD card, insert that into the CrystalSky, and install it from there.

No App required for the DJI Goggles. Just plug in the cable I mentioned and the DJI Goggles will automatically mirror the Trident’s display screen.

If you need the App for your CrystalSky monitor (for DJI drone control), download DJI GO 4 App from the PlayStore.

Will the coiled / right angle version of the cable work? (it is also offered on the link sent above)…

Will the coiled / right angle version of the cable work? (it is also offered on the link sent above)…

Have my crystalsky for my DJI drone. Does your crystal sky work with the openrov Trident?

I also have a CrystalSky Monitor. The issue with connecting a CrystalSky monitor to the Trident Monitor is finding a cable that has a USB-C connector on one end (to connect to the video output connector on the bottom of CrystalSky Monitor), to a HDMI-C (also called HDMI Mini) to connect to the video input connector on top of the Trident’s monitor. After a couple of days of searching and contacting various companies, I wasn’t able to find this cable, but I think I may have run across an alternative solution using the two cables below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BV8RM6M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KRKO4MM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These two cables are due in soon. I’ll let you know if they work.

(By the way, if you’re thinking you can connect a video input cable to the standard HDMI port on the side of the CrystalSky monitor, you can’t. That full sized HDMI connector is for video output only. Video input must go into the CrystalSky monitor via the USB-C connector on the bottom.)

Thanks for the info. Waiting on my Trident to be delivered. Ordered in 2015 on Kickstarter. Keep me posted on cables?

You don’t say where you’re based but assuming USA you can readily access the solution on eBay - purchase a USB Type ‘C’ to HDMI cable here for example and a Female HDMI to Male HDMI mini adapter like here. Similar Chinese solutions are also available in Europe via appropriate eBay site.

cmcp - let me know if you can find a male USB-C to male HDMI-C (Mini) cable.

I haven’t come across the cable you describe but if you assemble the two items I linked to earlier you will achieve the USB-C to HDMI-C (Mini) ends that you are looking for. The HDMI cable adapters are also available right-angled if you would prefer that configuration.

• I haven’t come across the cable you describe but if you assemble the two items I linked to earlier you will achieve the USB-C to HDMI-C (Mini) ends that you are looking for. The HDMI cable adapters are also available right-angled if you would prefer that configuration.*

Yes, even after an extensive search I couldn’t find this cable either, which is why I opt’ed for this two cable connection alternative.

The reason I didn’t opt for a right angled HDMI-C plug (to connect to the Trident’s Controller) is because photos of the right-angled HDMI-C plug length looked somewhat shorter than the straight HDMI-C plugs. Couple that with the fact that the Trident’s HDMI-C input connector is recessed and I didn’t want to take the chance of a right-angled HDMI-C connector not being quite long enough.

Crossovers between different USB cables is a pain and should be avoided.
A lot of the HDMI cables and crossovers I have tried are low quality and dont last

I finally found the right HDM cable male Mini to male Micro with the Norwegian DJI distributor.

DJI Goggle Adapter for Phantom/Inspire/Matric

Inge Kåre Tvedt

For the connection from the DJI Googles to to the Trident’s Controller, a HDMI-C (Mini) to HDMI-D (Micro) works perfectly, but if we are talking about connecting the DJI CrystalSky Monitor to the Trident’s controller - a HDMI-C (Mini) to USB-C connection is required.

piratesofsaltcay - Bad news and good news.

First the bad news. The cables arrived today to connect my Trident’s Controller to my DJI CrystalSky Monitor (USB-C male to HDMI male, and HDML female to USB-C (mini) . Unfortunately the cables didn’t work. The only rational I can come up with is, DJI may have mapped the USB-C Port on the bottom of the CrystalSky Monitor to work exclusively with the DJI Controller and with the DJI GO & GO-4 Apps.

The good news is, I was able to get the CrystalSky Monitor working with my Trident and no cables were needed!

The latest DJI CrystalSky Monitor software (I have V02.06.06.00) allows for 3rd Party Apps to be downloaded directly to the CS Monitor, although the Apps can not be downloaded to this Monitor directly from a PlayStore site. Apps must be downloaded in the .APK Format. This is fairly easy. From the CrystalSky’s Browser, log onto the APKPure.com website and search for the OpenROV APK File, and download .APK OpenROV Cockpit file. After the download is complete go to the CS’s Main Screen, then under Applications you’ll see the OpenROV App. Run it and it will connect to the Trident. There are only on-screen slider controls of course (no physical joysticks), but the App works beautifully and controls the Trident 100%.

So there ya have it. I now have the option to use either my DJI Goggles (via cable) or DJI CrystalSky Monitor (via WiFi connection) with my Trident.

I hope your Trident shows up soon. I initially ordered my Trident on September 5, 2016. It was ready for shipping in June 2018, but I opt’ed to hold out a bit longer for the updated motors. It finally showed up last week, a 25 month waiting period, but it was worth the wait.

Thanks for the info. Hope my trident shows up soon as ordered in 2015 but opted for the second gen motors also.

Has anybody figured out how to directly interface the Avent Glyph to the Trident/JFX S192K game Pad ?

Thanks for the info. Hope my trident shows up soon as ordered in 2015 but opted for the second gen motors also.

Wow, ordered in 2015? If you haven’t already, you may want to drop Nicole an email at support@openrov.com and inquire about your Trident’s delivery date.

Are you located in the Turks Islands? If so I would imagine the water must be very clear.

Oh I have been bugging Rachel, Joseph….Yes I live in the Turks and Caicos and yes the water is clear and turquoise in color. Heading to Florida today for a few weeks and have been trying to get them to deliver my Trident while there. Sometimes they are good about answering but they have slowed down answering . Got an email a few weeks ago that drone was ready to ship and need address so gave them it, now waiting again. Also ordered the adventure pack and remote.