Setup for "social diving"?

Is it possible to stream video from the Trident to multiple devices/screens while flying? My idea for social diving is to bring a small crowd along for a dive, and while I should be the only person in control, it’d be interesting if other users could see the live video stream on one (or more, if possible) other screens.

I guess one option could be to share my full screen to a Chromecast device, but I don’t think a simple pad can receive a Chromecast stream like this.

I use a usb to hdmi adapter on my Samsung s8. I plug in the cinimizer glasses to that and let people watch the dive through those while I fly by the phone screen. You could also get a usb to hdmi hub to feed multiple displays. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNS7W63/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chromecast needs to plugged into a wall but hopefully as the software gets updated different devices willl be able to log onto the Trident.

While I have NOT tried it, The App “Teamveiwer” should work.

I love this topic! I’ve been thinking of setting up a projector screen on the dock in Monterey at night to let people walking by see what I’m looking at. Google Home with a Chromecast works well, but there are other options too.

FYI, if you have OpenROV Cockpit installed on multiple devices, they can all view (and control) the Trident stream at the same time. You shouldn’t add too many devices as each one you add uses a bit more on board resources, but we’ve often had a pilot on his or her own controller and a bunch of onlookers looking at a different tablet connected with Cockpit. It’s also super fun when you have multiple people who want to fly and each person with a device can take turns flying vs watching.

Please send photos of showing off what you’re doing to crowds. It’s great to see that stuff!

Eric

I’m interested in this as well, but also in taking what you were talking about, Eric (two or more devices having control), a bit further. At my facility, I am looking into running an ROV with a group, but the area we can launch the ROV from is across the building from the area I would likely have them gathered (the “control van,” if you will). Is there any way to control the Trident over a local wifi network, or perhaps simply a good way to screenshare control of the vehicle from a local device to a remote one via a wifi network?

The ability to stream video to two devices at the same time at least solves the issue of using one phone for the controls, and one in a VR/Google cardboard setup.

I haven’t found a solution yet, but I’m poking around to see if there’s a combination available of screen pinning together with a disabled touch screen (eg disable all input except screen unpinning, which requires a code). That would let me hand a device to the kids without them meddling with the dive. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m surprised this isn’t one of the standard options in Android, I can think of a bunch of uses for this.

There are apps like Touch Protector and Touch Lock that appear to do the trick.

I have been contemplating the same thing with regards to kids. We do float labs and have a classroom element as well. I’m thinking of using the class time to orient the kids to the controls and then giving them turns running a transect in the VR glasses. There are laptops set up in the galley which would be a great place to view the live stream but also would induce seasickness. The VR glasses can cause seasickness as well but they won’t be in them that long. You really need a daylight display or glasses to get the wow factor for the kids. A sun washed screen just doesn’t show detail, especially in murky water. I have done two of these trips now with kids and every time I get at least one wow, usually a few wows in a row, when they put on the glasses. I’m hoping we can come up with a few vr headsets. With that in mind I think we will use the time on the water to take turns getting video and then review the video back at the docks while we process other collected data. The glasses are better than virtual reality, it’s real reality, and engages them on their level. Add a 360 camera and vr glasses and you Might just blow their little heads off. I’m putting an expedition together on Openrov.natgeo that will go into more detail and show the progress of the ROV element on the float labs. I’ll post a link on this thread once it is approved and live.

I will soon be installing a Teltonika RUT950 3G/4G router and high gain antenna on my boat to establish a reliable data connection to the internet. I will also establish a similar ground based connection using a directional antenna for shore based deployments.

Once I have established this reliable and relatively low latency connection I will be seeking to launch and operate Trident in a number of remote locations and then test the possibility of remote control of Trident by others.

I have been led to believe this might be possible and a feature provided by future updates. I have also been led to believe some additional hardware may be required. In any case, remote control and live (or near real time) viewing of video by others that might not otherwise get to experience underwater exploration is a natural and exciting extension of Trident and the citizen science movement.