ROV Software Suite 30.0.3

release-notice
software

This is intended to be a feature rich release. Get lots of improvements in what people see every day when using the ROV.

Target Features:

Feel free to ask question and make suggestions. This topic is for the discussion of the next software release. If you have comments or questions for a feature that is already targeted for the release, go to that topic and post where the lead developer will see it :wink:

Software Roadmap Index
New Developer Image ready with 30.1.0

I didn’t see it on the list, but I would like to request a plugin for the two remaining auxiliary servo channels (D9 and D10).

If you can get them to work just like the camera mount (left, right, center), that would be perfect. I tried my hand at writing code for the two channels months ago but could never get them to work.

I realize this plugin isn’t for everyone, but there are still some hardware makers out there and I plan on adding some more servo extension wires on my next build. I think it would go great with adding the external lighting plugin and using more outputs on the control board.

Hi Kevin:

Would you be looking to control motors (ESCs) or servos with those channels?

One of the things I have bugged Brian about for the next release is to code something up for the remaining joystick axis (right stick, lateral movement), and push that signal to the controller board Arduino processor. From there, it could be coded as necessary to the additional servo outputs, depending upon whether your ROV has a lateral thruster, or some sort of vectored-thrust arrangement.

-W

Hey @codewithpassion, a couple customers for your generic servo control plugin for the remaining servo ports :smile:

@Walt_Holm I would be looking at controlling servos with those channels.

I know Stretch is looking at extra motor controls, and a lateral thruster/vectored thrust would do wonders for maneuverability, but this would take a major platform redesign.

I’ve been looking at what the rest of the community has been doing with grabbers and samplers and I think using the two extra channels for servos would better serve the community for the moment until a new platform is out. Up to your team for a decision though.

The other consideration is that for more wires to be potted, the 6mm endcap needs to be thickened. I plan on getting two endcap kits and just adding a second 6mm piece to each end. This way I can be totally expandable and add 6 additional servo wires for whatever comes down the pipeline.

Have you already used up the 6 spare wires that are already potted into the stock 2.7 endcap? If you want to focus on grabbers, you could use those 6 wires as such:

2 wires for external lights
2 wires for power and ground to external servos
2 wires to control 2 external servos

The next ROV I build is going to use those 6 wires as such:

3 wires for a 4th motor
3 wires to control two separate banks of external lights (the PWM+ signal [battery voltage +] is common between the two lights)

Now if I want to add a grabber to that, hmm, then I’ll need some more wires.

-W

Nope, I haven’t tried using the 6 spare wires. My coding skills are severely lacking. If you can get the 6 AUX wires up and running, that would be great!

I’ll still pot wires for everything I can think of and let you guys figure whatever plugins you want to do. I can use anything on my next prototype, lateral thruster, vectored thrust, external lights, extra servo channels etc.

So the great thing about using the existing 6 spare wires is that they route through the DB-25 connector, and go to solder pads on the controller board (those pads are marked TP21 - TP25). So they make it easy to wire up custom stuff on the controller board and have it connect to the wiring harness via the existing DB-25 connector.

For instance, if you want external lights, you can run wires from the PWM3 outputs on the prototyping headers to two of the spare wire test points. Then add a little jumper across R32 (IIRC) to route battery power to the PWM channel, and you’re done with all the internal wiring for external lights.

We’ve been playing with external lights a lot here at OROV HQ, using a prototype of a software plug-in that Brian coded to control the things. He assures me that it will be included in the next software release.

-W

One more vote for a plugin to control the two empty servo connectors. I hope to use them as part of a 5 thruster vector control. What would be most helpful is some way to mix and match all 6 servo controls to any combination of servo or motor.

I am having an issue with the video intermittent freezing up! Is this a known issue? Also if I go to the photo screen I need to do a page reload to exit it.

For the video, freezing was an issue before version 2.5.0 shipped. Happened in bright contrast situations. I’m not aware of freezing issues sense then. If your on a recent version of the software feel free to post a video of what is happening.

That’s a known issue in the 30.0.0 and below. It has been fixed in 30.1.0 which is in development right now.

@Stretch, what’s your planned thruster configuration? Do you have do vertical vectored thrusters? We are building a 4 vector frame this summer, with the possibility of two vertical, but what is the benefit of vectoring the vertical unless you want roll control? Or have I misread?

External Payload plugin…still working out the bits for this. the CTD is a webserver so I was just going to integrate it with both a selectable data feed on the UI and a selectable i.p…at least that’s the thought at the moment.

Also, external camera feed. I have an idea for an archaeological camera (for years) and have a java plugin for the client side to visualize / stitch the image feed… more on that soon.

@Jim_N, I have a couple of thruster configurations sketched up, but nothing definite yet. Full lateral control is a critical requirement as I need to be able to maneuver sideways to inspect in current. The thought behind vectored vertical thrusters is that it would add to the lateral thrust, but that’s only if the ROV is stable (not easily rolled) and in order to do that I would probably have to add ballast (increasing the ROV’s overall weight).

Ah, I understand. So a colleague pointed me towards Voith Schnieder systems for thrusters, interesting setup. However the price point even on the RC scale is a little high.

Those are interesting…

http://www.renewbl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/voith-schneider-propellers.jpg

Here is the video. Last night when it was darker the cam only froze a couple of times. Today in the daylight it is doing it all the time, makes it unusable. Hope this helps.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: May 30, 2015 12:31 AM

To: craig@gpscharts.com

Subject: [OpenROV Forums] [OpenROV R&D/Projects] ROV Software Suite 30.1 - Q2 2015

badevguruOpenROV Engineer

May 30craig_bates:

I am having an issue with the video intermittent freezing up! Is this a known issue?

For the video, freezing was an issue before version 2.5.0 shipped. Happened in bright contrast situations. I'm not aware of freezing issues sense then. If your on a recent version of the software feel free to post a video of what is happening.

craig_bates:

Also if I go to the photo screen I need to do a page reload to exit it.

That's a known issue in the 30.0.0 and below. It has been fixed in 30.1.0 which is in development right now.

To respond, reply to this email or visit https://forum.openrov.com/t/rov-software-suite-30-1-q2-2015/2184/11 in your browser.

Previous Replies

craig_bates

May 30

I am having an issue with the video intermittent freezing up! Is this a known issue? Also if I go to the photo screen I need to do a page reload to exit it.

Stretch

March 8

One more vote for a plugin to control the two empty servo connectors. I hope to use them as part of a 5 thruster vector control. What would be most helpful is some way to mix and match all 6 servo controls to any combination of servo or motor.

Walt_Holm

March 6

So the great thing about using the existing 6 spare wires is that they route through the DB-25 connector, and go to solder pads on the controller board (those pads are marked TP21 - TP25). So they make it easy to wire up custom stuff on the controller board and have it connect to the wiring harness via the existing DB-25 connector.

For instance, if you want external lights, you can run wires from the PWM3 outputs on the prototyping headers to two of the spare wire test points. Then add a little jumper across R32 (IIRC) to route battery power to the PWM channel, and you're done with all the internal wiring for external lights.

We've been playing with external lights a lot here at OROV HQ, using a prototype of a software plug-in that Brian coded to control the things. He assures me that it will be included in the next software release.

-W

Kevin_K

March 6

Nope, I haven't tried using the 6 spare wires. My coding skills are severely lacking. If you can get the 6 AUX wires up and running, that would be great!

I'll still pot wires for everything I can think of and let you guys figure whatever plugins you want to do. I can use anything on my next prototype, lateral thruster, vectored thrust, external lights, extra servo channels etc.

Walt_Holm

March 5

Have you already used up the 6 spare wires that are already potted into the stock 2.7 endcap? If you want to focus on grabbers, you could use those 6 wires as such:

2 wires for external lights

2 wires for power and ground to external servos

2 wires to control 2 external servos

The next ROV I build is going to use those 6 wires as such:

3 wires for a 4th motor

3 wires to control two separate banks of external lights (the PWM+ signal [battery voltage +] is common between the two lights)

Now if I want to add a grabber to that, hmm, then I'll need some more wires.

-W

To respond, reply to this email or visit https://forum.openrov.com/t/rov-software-suite-30-1-q2-2015/2184/11 in your browser.

To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user preferences.

~~~~_/)~~~~~~~

Craig Bates

BBB graceful shutdown button in cockpit. This may save a BBB or two?

Ended up breaking out this release initially titled 30.1.0 to a point release in order to get the updates for the new IMU release. Moving the remaining work to a new thread.