Return on Adventure

I got a call last night from Eric in Antarctica. He's at McMurdo Station working on piloting ROV's under the Ross Ice Shelf. No big deal.

(Eric prepares for bed in an ice trench that he built.)

From the moment we embarked on this project, Eric and I have been really open and transparent about why we're working so hard to make telerobotic exploration cheap and accessible. It's no secret - we're in it for the adventure. Although we've had to incorporate and go through all the tedious details of operating a business, we're still adamant that our main goal is to maximize Return on Adventure - for ourselves, as well as everyone else in the community.

In the last week, I've received inquiries about using OpenROV's for Open Ocean Monitoring in the Chagos Archipelago, searching for a Spanish Galleon of the coast of Oregon, and searching for the remains of Amelia Earheardt. And that's just this week!

I've been blown away by all the incredible ideas and mysteries that this community is coming up with. As the kits start shipping all over the world, I'm starting to think more about what we can create to increase everyone's Return on Adventure. I'm envisioning a sort of match-making platform that connects OpenROV builders and operators to archeologists and scientists who are looking for technical support.

It's just a rough idea and dream at this point. What do you think?

Maybe you could tap into academic networks to facilitate cross-functional thesis projects...pair up engineers with archaeologists/geologists. Tap into that brain-power!

Not to mention the fact that OpenROVs will be distributed around the world, so researchers could have access to ROVs with pilots (and people who know how the system works and are capable of making modifications/ repairs). Picture a "Find an OpenROV near you" tool!

Eric wow thats a huge adventure, hope its going well!! But gosh that picture looks a little bit chilly and it has me slightly glad to be looking at it from california :-) Maybe when I have my own rov I will feel more adventurous haha. These blog posts are great reads thanks.

Would be great to also include the ability for teachers and homeschooling parents to connect with OpenROV builders and operators so we can share the adventure with all ages! :-)

Teresa I recently found out about "seaperch" and I spoke with a teacher who sounded like she had some fun building it in her class. I mention this not to detract from OpenROV but b/c it would be the perfect starter project for your young marine scientists.

I've grown up on archaeology documentaries, as I find ancient mysteries so intriguing. This is one of the many reasons I was attracted to the OpenROV project - it's a stepping stone to initiating my own adventures, as well as collaborating with others who share this passion.

Please let us know if you guys are thinking of expanding this idea further, I'd love to be a part of it!

Has Eric had to make any design modifications to deal with the temperatures down there?

Eric hasn't made any temperature modifications - at least not that he's shown me yet... He did send me this picture, though.

Yes, he really did bring a tuxedo down to Antarctica to get this exact photograph. Goofball :)