Hey everyone. After being on the forum for a little bit of time, asking for help here and there. I’m happy to say that our ROV is mostly finished. It is going to be used in a regional MATE ROV Competition. We decided to go a little overkill for the “Navigator” class of the competition but we wanted a ROV that could be reused for the years to come. The ROV this year is named Red October.
With the MATE ROV Comp. in mind, we had to design an ROV that would for their guidelines. We probably would done some things differently but with the rules and guidelines of the competition, we could not.
The ROV was built from ground up using the 2.8 Dev Kit. Our electronics housing is mounted on the two horizontal frame support aluminum tubes, held together with 3-D printed fittings. Mounting pieces for the housing were built on a milling machine. To maximize frame space we chose to keep the motors inboard. We use propeller shrouds to maximize the efficiency of our propellers. The accessories used to perform the tasks were designed with simplicity, functionality, and flexibility in mind. Two main accessories will complete the majority of all tasks, the claw and the “whiskers”. The claw can move 90 degrees down and the claw opens and closes a reasonable amount.
They are used for collecting multiple objects and completing multiple tasks. The claw is a simple tool allowing for precise collection of hard to reach or capture objects. The whiskers is made of a tube with 1/16in holes drilled through and in these holes, are rounded carbon fiber rods. Both of these tools retract into the frame maximizing the use of our size.
There are a couple things we did change around. The ROV is powered powered by a tether. The tether consists of a power line and ethernet cable. The power tether is 14 gauge and is about 50 ft long. If I remember correctly there is around a half volt drop from one end to the other. The ethernet cable is used for data and communication. Two of the strands inside are used for communicating with the ROV, the leftover six strands are used for video. The extra cameras that are used are FPV cameras designed for RC products. To waterproof them, we pot them in Epoxy. The plastic cover is removed after the potting and the camera turns out rather clean looking.
At the top end of the tether we made our little box for the topside adapter. The tether connects to the box and then splits off to various connections including video connections, our power source including the fuse and also the topside adaptor of course.
We also made some changes to 2.8 controller board. We added an extra ESC for the extra lift motor and a couple of other power connections to help reduce brownouts of the system. Overall, we are happy the ROV but more could be done to the system to improve it, we have just ran out of time. The competition is coming up and we need to practice. It would be nice to hear some feedback on what y’all think. Thanks all.
Also, here are some more photos.