Recording Glitches, no more space on Trident

Hi everyone,

I have been experiencing multiple bugs and glitches for a while now on the Trident, especially when using a JXD controller provided by Sofar. The support is non-existent, so I would like to know is someone has the same problems/solutions.

So the main problems I face are “Trident disconnected” while navigating with the ROV. This breaks the recording, as when I go back to cockpit, the record button won’t stop the recording, and the only way I can stop it is by manually disconnecting and reconnecting the Trident. It is VERY annoying. The recording button problem also happens when I open an other app while recording or do virtually anything else on the device.

But this is not the worst, it seems that when I stop recording by disconnecting the trident, it creates a “phantom” video, which I can’t see anywhere on the APP, and it uses the space I have on the Trident while being unreadable. I can’t find this data anywhere and I don’t know how to delete it… I currently only have 4 GB I can use on the trident, even when all the videos are deleted.

So does anyone have a solution for me?

Thank you!

1 Like

@samuel.lambert,

Good luck with your problem as I don’t have a Trident and can’t help you.

They seem to have abandoned the Trident support as they did for OpenROV support.

Regards,
TCIII

I have to sadly agree about the Trident support.

However, I can help you. I too have experienced these problems in the past.

1. Have you updated to the latest release of both Trident firmware and App? The latest release I think fixed the record bug
  2. All ROVs are updated/managed by Balena software deployment, for lack of a better description. You can log into you’re ROV, locate the image files and delete them.
  3. Are you familiar with ssh and Linux and how to ssh into other machines?

Jim

This product sounds like a dead duck. Very Disappointed with how this product has continually had Glitches and problems. Backed
this product from the starts on Kickstarter . Sadly

I had the same issue with disappearing space. Trident runs Unix inside and the solution was to ssh into Trident and delete video files. You can also copy video files using scp or ftp. The files might be damaged and not playable so repair is needed (unfortunately I do not remember the name of the tool off the top of my head but what it did is it generated mp4 headers in unfinished files from good example files that I had from previous dives).
For user name and password that are needed to access Trident (and more tips) please see FTP access to media files thread.
I think I found IP address in the cockpit app.

1 Like

I have used restore.media in the past to to the header repair. They are a billed per use service (but let you view results first). VERY good for corrupted files.

A manual app I’ve used to try to repair headers is ffmpeg (https://ffmpeg.org/) and revover_mp4 (http://slydiman.me/eng/mmedia/recover_mp4.htm)… Perhaps one of those is what ivlad was thinking?

I looked closer and I think I used this utility https://github.com/ponchio/untrunc to fix truncated video files that were left in the Trident and occupied space.

Filezilla method described in “ftp access to media files” thread also should help to clean up space on the Trident.

I had a similar issue a long time ago. I noticed that Trident had occasionally created corrupted video files with a zero file size after losing connection with the Samsung Galaxy Tab that I was using (I suspected this was due to radio interference however it turned out to be an issue with the tablet). After downloading and deleting the files via the app, the SD card storage capacity remained less than the actual capacity but only by a couple of GB.

This problem fixed itself in my Trident before I could work out what was happening. I replaced my tablet with a new phone and the problem has never happened again. I recall logging directly into Trident via its internal radio one time to have a look but I wasn’t able to delete any files or do any maintenance via this connection.