Raspberry Pi Camera attachment announced

Just yesterday the raspberry Pi foundation announced the final version of a camera board for the Pi. The camera has a 5 megapixel sensor, and can record 1080p H.264 video at 30 frames per second or 720p at 60FPS. The kicker here is that it uses the Pi's onboard GPU for video encoding, which means getting a live video feed from the Pi to the host computer will be much easier than with the current beaglebone MJPEG fetch-compression method, which only allows for 480x640 at 15FPS due to limitations in the CPU of the beaglebone. In addition, the camera will only cost about $25 as an addon, which is cheaper than the current webcam.

Since there's very little documentation on the electronics portion of the ROV, I'm not sure how tied in with the beaglebone the ROVcape is (What does it use for communication?) but it would be in the best interest for the budget (due to the RPi and Camera both being cheaper) to start working on porting the software to work with the RPi.

Agreed! We've just been so busy getting the Beaglebone to work we haven't had much time to hack it. But yes, would love to see what you (or anyone comes up with).

The problem with the RaspPi (for now) is availability. For example, an email I received today from an order placed on Oct. 15.

Hello Dan,

Good news! We recently received a shipment of Raspberry Pis and are working hard to get your order out the door. It should ship no later than December 21st, 2012. Once the order ships, you will receive a shipment notification at the email address provided during checkout.

Your long wait is almost over and we sincerely thank you for your patience.

Thank you!
Allied Electronics

Until the supply/demand issue resolves itself they are hard to do much of anything with.

"only allows for 480x640 at 15FPS due to limitations in the CPU" - Has anyone looked at how much of this time is spent in userland vs kernel? For a long time ARM linux has had a huge bottleneck in many USB video drivers where the USB buffers are uncached.

One symptom we had on BeagleBone+USB Webcam ( UVC video driver ) was the kernel spending a large amount of time(40%) in memcpy. Solving this isn't trivial, but is completely doable, and I could walk an interested party through fixing it.