Propeller design for optimal efficiency

Hi all - is anyone here interested in optimising performance of props? I’m looking for someone to bounce ideas off - I’ve just completed the conversion of an 8-year-long epic CFD foil-shape journey into a Fusion360 add-in, and then I added turbines which are working brilliantly - now I’m working on the prop part. It’s a lot harder than turbines (easy, because we know everyone wants all the power they can take, and Betz).

I’m 3D printing the results on my SLA machine and testing on a custom sensor platform in my pool as part of a genetic-optimisation loop using “real” fluid dynamics…

1 Like

Very interesting topic and I will definitely want to keep track of how your project unfolds! I don’t have much design experience with props but I do know may way around Fusion 360 a bit and have a 3d printer. I’m more than happy to try some different prop designs on my Trident and report how they perform. I would be very interested in a prop that could chop through weeds a bit more than the stock ones and clear itself on its own.

WooHoo! Challenge accepted!

I’m thinking - minimal number of blades (so, that’s 2), with an advance angle such that it is going to tend to shed the weeds instead of catch on them, and probably that means in both directions (forwards+backwards).

I’m also thinking that getting rid of any duct will be necessary (there’s simply no way to shed weeds when the prop tips cannot make clearance for the weed to get past), then to retain performance, adding prop blade wiglets (also designed to shed and not catch weed) should fix everything.

Do you need equal forward and reverse performance, or would you be happy to have “great” forward efficiency, at the expense of reduced reverse? [you can have mediocre for both, or “great” one way and “no so great” the other)