Pressure Tests of Various Foams

Everything changes when it goes underwater. The only real way to know how it's going to react - whether it's a motor, electronics tube, or just a foam float - is to test it underwater and under pressure. We've built our own pressure testing vessel and have been putting everything to the test.

In this video, Eric shows what happens to different types of foam. We're working on finding and developing the perfect tether floats to keep the ROV neutrally buoyant at deeper depths.

Hey,

Cool test. You should take a look at high-density polystyrene. It's the material that cheap water floats are made out of and I think it's usually rated for 300m. You can get cheap fishing floats made out of it at any sporting goods store. I don't have access to a pressure chamber, so when I wanted to test it out I went scuba diving. I took about half a dozen different foam samples down to 100 feet, so about 50 psi. Most of the samples dropped to about a fifth of their normal volume, but the high density polystyrene didn't compress at all. It's definitely worth looking into. It looks like it will do what you need it to do, it's super cheap, and you could just buy fishing floats, cylinders with holes drilled through the middle, and cut them into slices.

at 100'