In the aviation and military world you typically don't just 'get in the vehicle and go' like you would with a car. There's a detailed set of checks and procedures (normally strapped to your leg in a plastic binder) that you go through prior to taking off for the flight/mission. This helps you ensure that you aren't forgetting something to check first, ie "Emergence Brake Off".
It would be nice to have the OpenROV project had some sort of pre-deploy checklist so that people don't put their ROV in the water without first going through some standard checklist steps.
- Test batteries: Ensure that you are getting 12V at Xamps by doing blah blah.....
- Check water seal: Prior to every dive check seals by doing X,Y,Z ...
- Power up ROV
- Check socket communication: Check!
- Lights: Check
- Vertical thruster forward: Check
- Vertical thruster reverse: Check
- Video: check
- Tilt video vertical up: Check!
- Tilt video vertical down: Check!
Maybe this is place on the OpenROV wiki is where this will eventually go, http://wiki.openrov.com/index.php/Deployment . If so, could it be updated prior to the ROVs being shipped out?
Checklist Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preflight_Planning_Dispatch_Checklist