Potting Compounds?


#1

I'm having trouble finding Hysol here in the UK. Anyone know any suppliers or anyone tried using an alternative potting compound?

Thanks


#2

I haven't tried this yet, but this is what I planned. I was going to use 3M 5200. It can be thinned if you research the MSDS and look at the ingredients. I think I may have used Xylol/Xylene. I don't recall. and for potting I don't think you would need to thin it. I used it as a seam sealer like this:

But like I said, for potting you won't want it to be so runny. It will flow perfectly for potting as it in the tube. It is made for sealing bulkheads in a marine environment. The only possible problem is if it will stick to acrylic. I suspect it will since it locks solid to fiberglass.


#3

at work we use 3M DP460 that has a similar work time as the proposed hysol glue. Though i have not tried it myself with gluing acrylic. but it works good in a same type of application as on the openrov.


#4

I had same problem putting my hands on Hysol E-90FL. After contacting distributor in CZ now I know that in Europe Hysol E-90FL it sold under name Loctite 9489. Applicator gun has name Loctite 96001 for 50mm cartridge and Loctite 983438 for 400ml cartridge. Just add nozle and enjoy potting. This is exact match.. Hope this helps in UK also.


#5

That's great to know- thank's for the info, Jan.

E


#6

Hi, Loctite 9489 is available only per special order with delivery time 4 to 6 weeks. My distributor will receive 10pcs in about 4-5weeks. } I reserved 2 pcs for me. 8 are available to go.If anyone interested please let me know. Jan


#7

Hi,

I've exactly the same problem here in Belgium. I phoned yesterday at henkel and I'm waiting an answer (The person I've reached had to ask her US colleague for an alternative).

I'll keep you posted when i got an answer


#8

Hi,

did anyone try something like this?

http://www.amazon.de/Uhu-45585-2-Komponentenkleber-Plus-Endfest/dp/B000WGYSVO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361978551&sr=8-2

Maybe it is possible to mix the components in a bowl and aply with an injection from the pharmacy.


#9

I used this one http://www.amazon.de/Uhu-45655-2-Komponentenkleber-Schnellfest-Mixer/dp/B004OHN8GI/ref=sr_1_10?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1361979047&sr=1-10 on one endcap (it leaked at zero depth because it didn't connect properly to the acrylic) and on the other endcap I tried this one http://www.pattex.de/klebstoffe-fuer-den-heimwerker-und-profi-handwerker-bereich-pattex/do-it-yourself-mit-pattex-klebstoffe-produkte-new/pattex-klebstoffe/epoxykleber/kraft-mix-extrem-fest.html (it is watertight at least at zero depth - I have not done any diving tests yet).

I ended up scraping out the expoxy from the leaking endcap and replacing it with the Pattex product.

-Stefan


#10

In case anyone is interested -- I used the 3M DP460 glue and it looks to be good. It seems to have the right amount of viscosity to fill all of the space between the wires and the acrylic. So far I have only tested it in a bathtub but it did not leak at a depth of 40 cm. The glue is expensive, however, especially if you don't own an applicator gun and have to purchase one together with the cartridge.




#11

I just finished doing some potting using JB Weld as was suggested in another post on this topic. In my build I chose to use a different enclosure than that of the OpenROV which allowed me to use a male to female fitting. More pictures on my build we be posted once I have completed it, but the use of this product seem to work well. I used a piece of plastic on the bottom of the fitting to contain the epoxy when I filled the fitting. I drilled holes for the wires in the plastic which also helped to align the wires nicely in the fitting so the epoxy could flow around the wires. To hold the plastic to the bottom of the fitting I just sandwiched it between two pieces of plywood with the fitting itself screwed into the top piece of plywood so when I clamped it , it made a tight joint against the plastic. I just mixed up the two compounds heated it up a bit with a light bulb so that it would flow then let it pour into the top of the fitting. I then poked the epoxy around all the wires with the end of a tie wrap to make sure I got good contact around all the wires. then just tied the wires up so that they would be straight. As the epoxy settled into the fitting I just added a bit more to top it off, heated it a bit with the light bulb to smooth it out and poof done. My goal this summer is to reach a depth of 300' so I will let you know if it held up :). Here are a few pictures. After about 20 hours the epoxy was hard enough that I could break off the epoxy that got on the wires and put some heat shrink over the wires to make it look nice.

1824-P5180073.JPG (643 KB) 1825-P5180090.JPG (647 KB) 1826-P5180081.JPG (751 KB)

#12

More Pictures

1821-P5180086.JPG (647 KB) 1822-P5180085.JPG (691 KB) 1823-P5180078.JPG (662 KB)

#13

Hi Owen,

I've had excellent results using 3M Scotchast 2130 for encapsulating the electrical/video components within divers umbilicals. I believe this would work in this application.

Best regards,

Phil