Our research

I've finally been allowed to publish some information about our research.

The very bad experience adquired during the Odyssey- La Mercedes affair, leads us not to share anything. But seems, things are "closed" enough for giving a brieff explanation.

Our reseach group, is engaged on the study, location and recovery and/or reconstruction of ships with special relevance in the Spain's Naval History.

The program started 20 years ago, my work with them has extended along the last 6 years.

Our Group is composed by University professors, post graduates, doctorate alumni and professionals related to the University world. Some undergraduates and grant holders are also working with us.

My role goes around the Naval Architectural side of the project.

As it is known, Naval Architecture, as a science, is quite a modern thing, while the ships construction is a really old activity. It means, that many historical ships were built from no prior project, and hence no documentation is conserved.

In other cases, that documentation is lost, and almost all available information comes from tradition or speculation.

What's achieved:

Reconstruction of Columbus ships. Until today no reconstruction built has been able to achieve the performances related by the original documentation from the voyages.

Our reconstructions (1 has done the real round voyage Spain-Caribean sea- Spain) fit all those specifications, and are the only ones able to tack to the wind the documented Navigation Log Books angles, with the suitable speeds, correct load and crew members.

Once the real Navigation abilities of the ships have been tested, the location of the Nao Sta Maria wreck and "Fuerte Navidad" has been done.

By following the same procedures, we have located the wreck of the "Santisima Trinidad" ship of the line, sunk during the storm after Trafalgar battle and searched along two centuries.

The relevance of this ship would afford a whole book (Will be published during this year).

For the whole proccess, OpenRov could be the first to see those ships, after 500 years the first, and 200 the second.

As the original ROV is not able to reach the required depths, some changes would have to be done.

Hope to be allowed to share more information with you.

Kind regards.

WOW!!! That sounds incredible! Would love to help with this however we can. What depth would be needed to achieve this?

Also, did you see this one on OpenExplorer: https://openexplorer.com/expedition/iceagecaveartthesearchforsubme/

-David

I've read the post on OpenExplorer, thanks David. May be we could get in contact, I'll try.

As we have already located the wrecks, we are now in the expedition planning stage. Have no doubts, that my proposal for the UAV or UAVS is OpenRov.

I have had a couple of conversations with the project Director regarding the use of your device.

At the same I've got in touch with some OpenRov users in our area, one of them a Doctorate alumni.

We are arranging a meeting with the Project Director, at Cadiz (SW Spain) around last September or early October.

I'll keep you all informed.

Kind regards.

NOTE: Safety working depth is required to be 250m.

As I've said some times on the forums, I see no technical problems for reaching that depth, while holding the low cost of the ROV.