I'm trying to order acrylic in Europe and I'm trying also to understand what is used for what.
From what I understand from the bill of materials I need to order 5 different pieces of acrylic (aka Plexiglass):
- 3mm blue 24" x 36" - main body
- 3mm clear 12" x 24" - the caps for the electronics tube
- 3mm white 12" x 24 "- caps and prop guard
- clear tube 4" OD/ 3-3/4 ID - electronics box
- clear tube 3-1/4 OD / 3" ID - props guard?
Unfortunately in Europe we don't sell in inches and feet, but in mm. Furthermore, the provider of plexiglass I found, can cut sheets and tubes to an exact size, so to save money I can order the exact size needed.
Can someone please verify my assumptions and tell me if the sizes are correct?
- 3mm blue: the PDF says the sheet is 24" x 18" (so half of the sheet required, also build instructions mention this size instead of the other). Can I order 610mm x 460mm?
- 3mm clear: the drawing contains 10 caps, are they all needed for one ROV? or just 2 x ROV? In that case (2 x ROV) a 240mm x 150mm should be enough, right?
- 3mm white: looking at the PDF it looks like just a small piece of the sheet is used: 160mm x 240mm should be enough
- Electronics tube: 4OD - 3-3/4ID doesn't exist in metric unit (101,6mm OD - 95,2mm). The closest I could find is 100 - 94. Also I cannot understand how long it has to be: the bill of material says 3' that would be enough for 5, but not sure about the actual length. Also , having changed the diameter of the tube, I guess I'd have to change the size of the caps and of the electronics structure.
- Props guard: same as above. 3-1/4 - 3 (82,5 - 76,2) doesn't exist. available are 90-84 or 80-74. But The impeller is 3in exactly, so either I buy the normal impeller and cut to size, or look for a 74mm impeller. Also how long must that tube be cut to?
As you see even if the sizes are metric, many things have been designed to availability in the US. It might be a good idea to make 2 versions of the parts, one for the US makers and one for the makers of the rest of the world? I'm not skilled in cad stuff, so cannot b of any help here