OpenROV v2.5 wiring diagram (filling in the blanks)

Hi, I just purchased the OpenROV kit and have assembled almost everything using the v2.4 wiki videos and the new 2.5 wiki on dozuki:

OpenROV v2.4 instructions

OpenROV v2.5 instructions (work in progress)

The 2.5 wiki ends at step 20 where it starts explaining how to wire up the motor controls to the new OpenROV Controller Board (rev 2.5B), so I've been looking through the controller board schematic on github to try and figure out how to hook up everything else. It shouldn't be too hard to deduce the remainder of the wiring diagram, but I would feel much more comfortable if someone with experience could fill in the blanks for me.

I have 4 questions relating to power and the OpenROV Controller Board:

1) Battery: Where on the OCB do I attach the 12V main power supply?

2) Beagle Bone: Which pins on the OCB supply the beaglebone power (5V)?

3) Tether Adapter (from the Tenda P200): Which pins on the OCB supply the tether power (3.3V)?

4) LED Lights: Which pins on the OCB supply the light power (12V)?

I appreciate any help with this, thanks!

Hi Todd:

Here's a brief answer to your questions:

1.) There is no independent connection for the batteries. They come through the hull penetration as part of the main wiring harness, which ends in a DB-25 connector. The batteries are pins 4,5,6, and 7 on that connector. See sheet #2 of the schematic. If you want to apply power to the circuit board for temporary testing, you can do it at the solder pads J11, as shown on sheet #3.

2.) J6-5 and J6-6.

3.) See sheet #2 of the schematic. The Tenda adapter plugs right on to the circuit board with no wiring needed. Just make sure when you cut apart the boards of the Tenda adapter, you cut as close to the power supply board as possible, leaving lots of pin length on the logic board.

4.) See sheet #6 of the schematic. The LEDs hook up to PWM1+ and PWM 1-.

-W

Also, here's a quick diagram that might help clarify the wiring to the DB-25. This is from the perspective of looking at the back of the female connector (looking at the solder cups). Double check the pin numbers on the connector (very hard to see but molded into the plastic insulation next to each pin) to make sure you've got everything right.

Hope this helps!

Eric

Ahh, ok, I see it now, thanks so much for that feedback! I feel a lot better applying voltage to this guy now :D

cool, thanks! I see that now on page #2 of the schematic but the color coding makes it much clearer.

BTW, Eric has posted another couple of pages of instructions on Dozuki, so you might want to go back and re-look at that.

-W

I completed the machine part of OPENROV-V2.5.
Since there is little explanation of a wiring course and software, I have many qestion.
Although it is the first question, is TETHER a remote ETHERNET communication circuit of two lines of TENDA?
Isn't there any polarity(+,-) in this TETHER?

The tether is just a clever way to reduce the standard 4 pin ethernet connection down to a 2 pin connection. It uses those Tenda adapters to do it since they already do exactly that through the power outlet in your house (which is 2 wire). The OpenROV design just cuts out the outlet power part and uses the ethernet to 2pin converter. So basically yea, the connection to the ROV is an ethernet conection between a laptop and the ROV. The little clear acrylic box part of the tether is what connects to the PC: it's powered by a USB connect. I don't think there's a polarity to the wires, I ended up trying it both ways and it worked fine. It's designed to attach to an AC power outlet, which also has no polarity, so I think it's safe to assume there is none.

Mr. Todd
Thank you for the suitable advice.
One question of mine was solved.
Since AC electric socket can be put conversely, there is no polarity.
I connected TENDA of TOPSIDE to PC.
Since lighting of LED was right, probably it was successful.
Although he would like to, perform the wiring by the side of ROV, a source code, etc. from now on, it feels very difficultly.