OpenROV Uses

Not sure how I missed this on the forums a few weeks ago, but I loved hearing what David and his team are planning to do with OpenROV:

We aim for using the OpenROV platform for hunting meteorites on the see floor (at certain,defined places), especially where it is too cold for human divers...

We are thinking of an articulated, robotic arm to either grapple meteorites up to a certain size, or mark them for later retrieval if too heavy. The arm will have a magnetic field sensor on one of its fingers, and a coil to exert an artificial magnetic field. The latter can also be used as metal detector. Both individually, or in combination, can be used to obtain information about the magnetic permeability of rocks.

Given the high iron and nickel content of meteorites, they should show a unique signature distinct from terrestric material.

We intend to participate with this project on the Santiago Mini Maker Fair later this year.

Regards and thanks to you all who made this platform a reality - David

What are you planning to use it for? Also, as we've mentioned before, let us know if there is anything we can do to support you if you're planning to demo an OpenROV at a Mini Maker Faire around the world!

Dear David and the OpenROV,

thanks for picking this up! I really appreciate. For getting this ready to present it at the Santiago Mini Maker Fair we actually received a two-month scholarship at the Santiago Makerspace (see ), where we can use the tools, equipment, and tap into the skills of other makers/members there. We are very grateful for that!

We’ll try to remember to post regularly some links to updates in this forum.

Regards from Chile - Anton and David