I just finished building my 2.6 ROV after I had it laying around partly build for almost a year. I already had it in a working state a few month ago and thanks to the community I got my problem with the home plugs sorted out. After that I started designing a tether drum but I am afraid I carried it a bit far. Looking back, I should have stayed with the recommended plastic pipe tether holder and gone diving. But building the drum was fun, so it was worth it and I hope to have the maiden of #1206 this weekend.
Here are some pictures of the drum’s building process. I am using an 80 mm thin ring ball bearing and it works surprisingly well. I think the ROV should be able to pull the tether out by himself.
Central support assembly:
Bearing with the drum’s inner core:
Drum with tether in place:
Ready for setting up:
Up and running: