Off-the-Shelf Tether Management System

So this is a project I've been researching and gathering parts for the last several weeks, and it's now ready to show off. I realize this tether management system is not for everyone, as it does take up quite a bit of real estate, but for being put on a boat, I think it's perfect and just what I need to keep the tether neat and tidy and have a place to mount the topside adapter. Please ignore the rest of the ROV parts and tools all over the table, I have a few things I'm working on.

The cable reel I used is an Alert Stamping 700WR Pro-Reel Cord Carrier ($27) and can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Alert-Stamping-7000WR-Pro-Reel-Carrier/dp/B0000C6E3P/

The slip ring is made by Nextrox and has 6 conductors ($11), and it can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Nextrox%C2%AE-Wires-Conductors-Capsule-250Rpm/dp/B00CE3S74C/

That's basically it! The only part I had to make was a 4" disk made out of a sheet of Plastruct and spray painted a gloss black, but you can really use any material you like to mount the slip ring on and mount it onto the inner reel. The yellow/green wires coming from the slip ring must be glued (I used clear marine silicone vice hot glue) to the frame so it does not rotate.

The topside adapter is velcroed to the grey frame for easy removal.

Let me know if you have any questions, I have some more pictures of the build, but I didn't want to clutter the board.

A Solution For Manage The Tether
Feedback / ideas for a more durable build?
Monthly Expedition Day

Great job I like your design keeps things nice and tidy and much easier to deploy the tether.

I did something very similar. Although you can't tell from my pictures, I think I used the exact same slip ring. Since it had 6 connectors, I used two pairs of three each for extra capacity. I also put a plug in the ROV end of my tether by using rca plugs potted into sprinkler hose barb. A piece of hose goes over the two connectors and is secured with hose clamps. I haven't tested it yet, but it looks to me like it will work.

Thanks for sharing Kevin,

I bought the same cable reel and it works like a charm!