I figured out what was my problem was. I needed to complete step #3 (Update OpenROV Software) on the Update Software wiki entry, http://wiki.openrov.com/index.php/Update_Software
This was the first time for me going through the process of building out the software for the rov and I inadvertently assumed that when I installed the latest BeagleBone image that it automatically installed latest Open ROV software.
What finally brought this to my attention of not having the latest OpenROV Sofwtware was that I was looking at what was on github and what I had locally and it didn't match up. I was like hey, "I want latest, how do I get that?". So that made me go in the direction of reviewing the software update process and I realized that running step #3 was worth a shot.
Note that I did have to do the npm steps as well before all would work, the /var/log/openrov.log was complaining about not finding the forever-monitor module. After running the npm steps (twice) things were all finally synced up.
- sudo bash
- cd /opt/openrov
- rm -rf node_modules
- npm install
So the long and short of it...
I had updated the Arduino firmware with the latest code through the browser cockpit, but I was running an older version (Dec 2012) version of the OpenROV software. This combination allowed partial functionality of the rov to work. It wasn't until I updated the OpenROV software that everything began working.
As a side note, I think the project label of "OpenROV Software" is little vague and leads to confusion. Everything is "OpenROV Software" in one form or another.
So cool that the wiki was there to help walk me through the software update process!