No Contact with the ROV

software

After having problems getting video I tried to update the vieo port, after reading an instruction in the forum.

had some minor pc problems with an unintended shutdown. somehow there's no contact with the ROV now.

May it be that somehow I have managed to delete everything on the arduino?

and in that case? what to do next? a little bit lost with a kind of expensive plastic thing not working on my desk right now....

Hey Imn,

If you look at the BeagleBone Black while the ROV is supposed to be turned on, is there a single blue power LED on on one side of the ethernet plug, and four blue lights (some of which will be blinking) on the other side? I've sometimes seen that the BB doesn't boot properly and the set of four lights are all off. If that's the case, it may be an issue with the BeagleBone (and we can talk you through that).

If all the lights are doing what they should (the four blue LEDs are showing activity) then it may be that you've lost a connection. Do you see orange and green lights on the BeagleBone Ethernet adapter?

What lights are turning on on the Controller Board and Topside adapter when you turn the system on?

With this information, we should hopefully be able to get to the bottom of this problem. We'll get you through this!

E

Ethernet adapters are lit, mid led blinking. one of the earlier blinking leds on the beaglebone have stopped blinking.

I'll check which leds that are working when I get home from work.

thanks,

Lars

253-IMAG1441.jpg (1.04 MB) 254-IMAG1442.jpg (1.3 MB)

No one that could help me here?

any way to reboot or restore the Beaglebone? haven't found anything on the forum that have helped yet. ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED is the only thing I get when trying to open the cockpit

Hi Imn:

I'm not an expert on the BeagleBone side of things, but I was wondering: are you running on the original software that came in the flash memory of the BBB, or are you using a memory card with the BBB? Perhaps if you tried running off of a fresh build on a fresh memory card, that would help.

Although it looks like the homeplug adapters are working fine, if you have any doubt about those you can always connect your laptop to the BBB ethernet port directly, bypassing the adapters. You still need to keep the topside adapter attached to the tether in order to turn on the ROV electronics.

If you try both of those things and they don't work, then maybe the BBB is somehow fried.

Let us know what you find.

-Walt

i'm running the origial software. have not found out how to use the sd card with new updated software yet.

Disconnected the BBB from the arduino and after some searching around I found another way to open the BBB. All the programs are stopped. tried to get them running again, but when turning of the bbb to install it again everything is stopped again. could it be something here that should've been starting by itself that's causing my problems?

Hi Imn,

Can you SSH in to the beaglebone? Once inside you can check log file,

'cat /var/log/openrov.err.log' which should tell us why the cockpit is not running.

Hi, when running the config in putty I got the above. Nothing.

when trying the err.log I got the below

snip from ssh

/opt/openrov/src/plugins/googletalk_ipregistration/index.js:61
var conn = new xmpp.Client({
^
ReferenceError: xmpp is not defined
at googletalk_ipregistraion (/opt/openrov/src/plugins/googletalk_ipregistrat ion/index.js:61:24)
at /opt/openrov/src/cockpit.js:264:38
at Array.forEach (native)
at /opt/openrov/src/cockpit.js:260:8
at Object.oncomplete (fs.js:107:15)

^
at googletalk_ipregistraion (/opt/openrov/src/plugins/googletalk_ipregistrat ion/index.js:61:24)

^
rov@OpenROV:~$

hi,

anyone got an idea of what I need to do?

format the beagleboard and install the software again?

Hello,

I'm a complete newbie into this but the OpenROV project is extremely interesting for me also. Sorry for posting in this topic but I have one thing in mind which I wasn't able to find in the forum discussions using the search engine. Is there a kind of 'emergency resurface' command implemented in the software so as to automatically resurface the ROV in the case of, let's say, communication lost with the tether/cable cut/water breach etc.? As the ROV doesn't float I imagine it would be a chore to retrieve it ''manually'' out of deeper water...Thanks and sorry if this was already discussed!

the rov should be positive buoyant. but just slightly buoyant. if you loose the power it should slowly resurface.

in my former job I experienced cut of theter on a ROV, after about an hour we found it after it resurfaced from 400m.

Hi,

I still haven't been able to find a solution for my problem.

If anyone could help me out with a guide on how to format an re-install all necessary software I would be grateful. I've got a project coming up next week were I need an ROV.

Hey Imn,

The issue with it not finding the xmpp library means that the npm install was not run on the image or the image has somehow become corrupt. I would go ahead and try burning an SD card and installing the stable image on that and booting from that SD card. If that solves the problem, you can work on updating the version that is in the flash memory.

https://github.com/OpenROV/openrov-software/releases/tag/v2.5.0