Important notes for people who are ordering components individually instead of a full kit.
Modified on 1/30/14 to add info on connecting old tenda to new topside interface pcb.
The Tenda homeplug adapter used to connect the ROV the surface changed on us unexpectedly after we made the 2.5 controller board. This isn't a problem if you bought a 2.5 or 2.6 kit from us, but people who are buying parts to build ROVs on their own will need to pay attention to this post.
- If you have a 2.5 controller board then you are going to need to make sure that you get an old configuration Tenda Homeplug adapter. See the pictures below to tell the difference.
- If you have a 2.6 controller board you can use both the old and new configuration Tenda homeplug adapter. The new one will work with no changes. The old one will require that you make a few changes to your controller board.
Determining controller board version
Is your controller a 2.5 or 2.6? The silk screen at the bottom right corner of the board will let you know which one you have.
Determining Tenda adapter config (new/old)
Is your Tenda adapter the new configuration or the old one? Looking at the box you can tell the difference by the lower left corner. There will be an extra QOS icon on the new config adapters. After you have them out of the box you will see that the reset button has moved on the new config as well.
Now that you know your controller version and Tenda config
- If you have a 2.5 controller with an old adapter you are good to go.
- If you have a 2.5 controller with a new adapter you need to find an old adapter or get a new controller because they aren't compatible.
- If you have a 2.6 controller with a new adapter you are good to go.
- If you have a 2.6 controller with a old adapter then you will need to make a few changes to your controller board and you will be good to go.
Modifying a 2.6 controller board to use the old config Tenda adapter
There are two things you need to do to your controller board to make it work with the old adapter.
- Solder 1x3 female headers into J9 and J10
- Snip the 2x3 male headers at J18 and J19
From there you will be able to follow along with the V2.5 Dozuki instructions (steps 59, 60, 61, 62) for disassembling your Tenda adapter and plugging it in to the controller board.
Old Tenda, new topside interface PCB
So here is our last note on Tenda homeplug adapters. If you have an old homeplug but get one of our new topside interface boards you can connect the two with some M/F jumper wires. This will not fit the old or new topside adapter so you will have to use some creativity there (and if you make something cool be sure to share it!)
Good luck and let us know if you need help!
-Matt & Zack