New Release Candidate Image ready with 31.0.0 RC

Have you tried screencastify? That is recommended by a few users.

I tried some screen recording software but the problems are 1) I want the raw video minus the HUD, 2) the files it produces are way too large and of lower quality (due to screen being >720p). I’d appreciate any response from the devs is the video capture format possible to stream or record from Linux tools like vlc? Why does chrome recording only work for the new HD camera (which I don’t have on my 2.8). Will it ever record for the 2.8 from chrome?

I am not a computer guy but I am wondering if you could add a board like an Adruino or a PI and do the recording before the signal is sent back up the wire to the PC? Put a small recording device right in the housing of the 2.8?

No luck, went back to 31 DEV 169 to use the hd cam and depth lock.

Quick question, have you tried to burn this 31 into internal eMMC? I’m looking information about how to flash any 31 RC version in the internal memory. Standard BBB procedure using S2 button (USER) at power-up sequence won’t work.
Thanks in advance

Hi All,

When communicating with my OROV2.8 equipped with the Pro Camera HD-Upgrade I was running Windows 7 on my laptop and was able to communicate with the 31.0.0 RC4 OROV Cockpit firmware using rov.openrov.net and get good video. I was hooked up directly to the Ethernet bridge and had the IPV4 connection set for DHCP per the instructions above.

I have upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 and can no longer communicate with the 31.0.0 RC4 OROV Cockpit firmware using rov.openrov.net with the IPV4 connection set for DHCP. If I now use rov.openrov.net I get the ngnix server message. If I use 192.168.254.1:8080 I am able to access the OROV cockpit, but get no video.

Since I moved to Windows 10 on my laptop, should I be using a different means of establishing communication with the OROV other than rov.openrov.net which as I stated before no longer works?

Update: I decided to try using a fixed IP of 192.168.254.2 for my laptop, like with the stock OROV2.8, and then used 192.168.254.1/cockpit to communicate with the OROV Cockpit instead of 192.168254.1:8080 like with the stock OROV2.8. Fortunately for me this solution worked and I got good video though I had to adjust the GOP to 10 from 90 to keep the display from locking up.

Regards,
TCIII

Hi All,

While poking around on the Trident Support Forum I found out that OROV has limited the real-time video coming up the tether to 720p to reduce lag and bandwidth requirements. Later the actual 1080p video, which is stored on board the Trident, can be down loaded for a higher quality image playback.

My question now is if the OROV2.8 Pro Camera-HD Upgrade video coming up the tether is 1080p, but uses H2.64 compression, why do we have to reduce the camera bandwidth and GOP to get a video stream that does not lock up? I suspect that it might be my older HP laptop cannot handle the decompression of the H2,64 compressed video without reducing the bandwidth and the GOP?

Therefore, is anyone using an Intel I5 or better equipped laptop with an OROV2.8 equipped with the Pro Camera-HD Upgrade to view the camera video with the default Bandwidth and GOP settings without getting freezing or lockups?

It would be nice if the Cockpit firmware could be modified to send up either 720p or 1080p depending on the needs of the user.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

1 Like

Hi all,

I do a fork of openrov-cockpit and openrov-software-arduino to bring this 31.0.0 alive and bugfree.
You could checkout them out here https://github.com/eyoz/openrov-cockpit.git and https://github.com/eyoz/openrov-software-arduino.git.
I resolved only two bugs who annoy me. The depth lock now works (@guillaume.ethier) and rov gamepad api is compliant with newer versions of chrome.

How to use it, Just download the 31.0.0-rc4 file apply it to the mmc card and update the files with my repositories (warning on openrov-cockpit you must checkout the v31.0.0-rc branch). I could make a new image of this if some of you are interested.

1 Like

@michael.bouchaud,

Nice work.

A new image would be best as installing the new Cockpit version would be a one step process.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

I have done a new image with my changes here.
31.0.0-rc7

Changes are :
Gamepad now works with recent chrome
depth lock work as expected
a new ssl certificate (This one is generated by me not by a trusted certification authority, so you still have one error on first connection).

PS: I don’t have tested this image as I don’t have the ROV before the end of the week, I hope I don’t make any mistake. Test it or wait until next week.

2 Likes

@michael.bouchaud,

Nice work and I am sure that it will be aptly appreciated by all of the OROV2.x users!

Regards,
TCIII AVD

@michael.bouchaud,

The last OROV2.8 release was 31.0.0-rc4.

Is there a reason your OROV2.8 update release is 31.0.0-rc7?

Regards,
TCIII AVD

Openrov team already tagged 31.0.0-rc5 and 31.0.0-rc6 on git but never released an image file.

I just do +1 on release candidate version.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

To tell you that I just tested the image I recently provided for users of openrov2.x and it works well. This image is launched from sd card and doesn’t touch the bbb memory at all. So test it !
Stay tuned because I have something bigger that will come in the near future.

Regards

5 Likes

Hi i was unable to use my ROV s , since gamepad stop working, RC7 , by michael.bouchaud, put me in the Game again,
thanks.

1 Like

I have installed the rc7 version but now when I try to connect to the rov it just sits on the “Connecting to ROV” screen.
Am I doing something wrong or are there other steps than just burning the image to the SD card and turning it on?

Which browser did you use ? firefox or chrome (chromium)…

Hi Michael,
I used the latest version of chrome available

Hum this is strange…
I could recommend a new test.
Plug the rov and let it to start, wait for the led goes on. (if the leds are blinking, something goes wrong).
When the led are on, launch chrome and try to open the webpage of the rov.
Wait and see…

Okay, I’ll give that a go tomorrow and post back