My ROV 2.0

After abandoning my last ROV design I plan on using a slightly modified "New Design" ROV.I am going to add a ballast system for quick depth changing. I also plan to design a fully compatible manipulator that can be installed easily if anyone else builds the "New Design" ROV. I plan on starting this project in July. I might get the hardware parts this weekend as well.

But...a few questions before I get started building.

1. What motors should I use for propulsion? I would use bilge pumps, but they seem lacking, and since I'm sealing off the motors with a magnetic coupler, they aren't necessary. Brushless motors have weird wiring that I don't exactly understand and controllers for them are expensive and take up a lot of room. Has anyone actually tested and used with success some good brushed motors?

2. From previous built ROVs, anyone have any good tips and suggestions so I don't screw anything up? I have built 1 ROV before, a Seafox, which is not any where close to the complexity of this ROV.

Zach

Zach,

I plan to post a zip file containing the full SoldWorks model of the new design this week even though there are still some aspects that I have not verified and may still change. I'll also post my Bill Of Materials which should help you find all the parts I used. Although I've mentioned it before, I want to say that you've got the spirit that this website is all about. Keep it up and feel free to ask questions- we'll try to help you with your project however we can!

As for motors, I used a 600rpm gearmotor for my magneticaly coupled drive, but I fear that it may be underpowered for the size of the ROV. Hopefully I'll have more conclusive results in a week or so when I do the first water trials. In the mean time, bilge pump motors work great as long as you don't go very deep and you're willing to accept that they may fail and need to be replaced every now and then. ROV-1 uses RULE 360 bilge pump motors with ducted fan propellers attached to the shaft with a custom made part I produced with a laser cutter. Let me know when you get to the point where you're trying to add a prop to the motor- I may be able to help out there.

Keep up the good work!

Eric

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSBF7&P=ML

i bought 3 of these and use them just as they are they work great in the water no sealing. RC modelers run them in water to break them in. I've run them a few times in water not at depth though only a couple of feet of water. i just spray a little wd40 after I'm done to prevent corrosion.Still testing and working out bugs with voltage drop and sealing my housing.