MVHS Underwater Robots...Miramichi, New Brunswick

Students from Miramichi Valley High School in New Brunswick will be involved with OpenROV technology this school. Through an educational grant, we were able to purchase a fully assembled OpenROV as well as kit to build a second unit. Myself along with fellow teacher Kathy MacDonald will be team teaching Computer Science 110 where the project will be our class project. I also teach Environmental Science 120 and we plan to use these devices to explore the Miramichi River. Excited to be involved with this technology...

Congratulations and look forward to your videos!!

That's fantastic Ashley!! I'm happy to see this technology being used in schools.

My wife is a teacher also and it is our hope to bring our own ROV to her school and other schools in the area. We want to show students what is possible and, hopefully give them an awareness of the underwater world that will serve them, and the planet, well.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Charles

Indeed! Please share photos and video!

Ashley, I work at Mount Desert Island HS in Bar Harbor, Maine, USA. We have a small group of students that will undertake building our first OpenROV this summer and test in the fall. The hope is incorporate its use with our Island Pathways - Marine Studies program and our Multimedia Journalism curriculum. We are also interested in making connections with other HS programs. I would love to get in touch with you. (Mark Arnold - marnold@mdirss.org)

HI Mark!

We have not updated lately on OpenExplorer since we are just finishing a course called MAKE 120 which involved not only OpenROV technology but also others like Sparkfun, Redbots, MAKE Electronics, Parrot Drones, Makey Makey, MATE ROV’s, GoPro, and Oculus Rift. Our last test dive was in a trout pond at a local fish hatchery…hoping to get into the river this summer. Feel free to contact me and it would be great to make a connection in the Fall as we plan to continue this into next year. My email is hallihana@nbed.nb.ca. I hope to have an update up on OpenExplorer soon…best of luck with your build!