Multibeam reinterpretation for use in Citizen Marine Archaeology

Alternatively, how to find a shipwreck using other peoples data (it’s cheaper and easier than doing the survey work yourself)

About a month back, over at Openexplorer a few of us were talking about multibeam information and the potential for putting something together a document on how to interpret other people’s multibeam survey work and using that data in the search for potential shipwreck targets.

Multibeam is a great source of information and potential source of shipwreck targets for the Citizen Marine Archaeologist / Community Marine Archaeologist / Citizen Scientist / Open Explorer who is willing to systematically review the data. More and higher quality multibeam data has generally become available to those who have the doggedness to chase it down and they are being rewarded in finding new pristine shipwrecks.

Following these discussions, attached is a OpenExplorer Guide to Multibeam Sonar.pdf (1.3 MB) document (and hopefully a few more different topics to come) which can hopefully provide assistance to the Open Explorer community by reducing the learning curve hurdles and by explaining how and what to look for when examining this type of data. We hope that this and other guides can be the start of a sort of knowledge bank / learning resource to assist those wishing

The document has been put together collaboratively by Kevin, Gary and by myself and we hope it is of assistance to the wider OpenROV/ Openexplorer community in their exploration

Scott, Kevin and Gary

GoPro underwater Structure from Motion (SfM) / Photogrammetry
Anyone try our the Open Source Navy bathymetric editor pfmabe?
Using LandSat satellites to find shipwrecks

Thanks Scott for putting this up!

I hope the community finds this useful and if you have any questions or comments, please post them up and we’ll make changes/additions accordingly. We think that geo-referenced multibeam sonar is a valuable tool to open exploration and is much more cost effective than running your own surveys. You already have a rough idea that a feature might be a wreck and the coordinates to go with it. It is up to you, the explorer, to go out and find what it is.

As Scott said, we have some other topics we’re working on and we’ll put them out when we can.

I thought I would just show what’s inside the document which can be downloaded from the top post

https://forum.openrov.com/uploads/openrov/4491/cd83d5e4105261c8.pdf