Motors jammed, again!

Hey @kdshock777 If you can physically spin each of the motors (or propellers) with your hand and there is not too much resistance (or you can break it free of its resistance) then everything is fine.

Unfortunately there is no warranty coverage for Trident anymore.

Eric

Hello,
Thanks for the update. We have a “stuck” motor at the moment and we would be VERY interested in buying a few to have on hand if this gets going! Please keep us updated!

Austin Happel, Ph.D.
Research Biologist – Urban Freshwaters
Daniel P. Haerther Center for Conservation and Research
John G. Shedd Aquarium
1200 South Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL, 60605
AHappel@SheddAquarium.org
t: 312.692.2724

Thank you Eric and others.

YES…I am interested in obtaining some spare Trident motors.

What do you require us to do to help make this a possibility. I have one Trident with a stuck motor and I would like to have a couple spares.

I am also looking for some advice in relation to replacement topside modules. I have one that appears to be faulty. Does anyone in the community have an old topside module that they no longer need?

Kind regards
Jason

@pforperry Here’s some folks who have posted about damaged / flooded Tridents and some mentioned parting them out. If they aren’t following the forum anymore, maybe you could ping them with the @ name.

John_Stager epley tiphinaqtuq bearkiter

I have a spare TSAP, but I also have a working Trident. So, for now I don’t now want to risk ending up in your boat. But keep in touch if you haven’t found one.

Since you ‘wrote the book’ on post dive motor maintenance, could you use Gen1 motors? They’ve only been in fresh water and are manually spinning ok.

Are there any shipping restrictions to ‘down under’? What would be the best method from the states?

G’day webhoppery,

Thanks for the reply and yes, I could certainly use some old Gen 1 motors…any motors are better than no motors. There are no restrictions on sending motors down under, we can arrange shipment off-line.

As a quick update to my previous workflow, I am now using semi-durable aviation grade anti-corrosion spray to protect the magnets from water. This stuff seems to last a bit longer than WD-40 and it is just as easy to apply. I still open the motors after every dive to make sure they are dried properly and free from corrosion…it takes me less than 10 minutes to do all three motors (but I often have a coffee break half way and finish my 10 minute job the next day hahaha)

Oh, and merry Christmas.

Kind regards
Jason

@pforperry Off-line contact - I’m on gmail with the same user name.

Happy New Year!
Bill

Hello everyone!

It’s been a long time coming, but I’m happy to say that after a lot of coordinating with numerous manufacturers we used while Trident was in production, our original Trident motor manufacture, X-TEAM, has been able to re-produce the Trident motor and has listed it in their store. Here’s the link:

X-TEAM has been amazing in their willingness to work with me to make this happen. Tracking down all the externally sourced materials and specs and getting all our previous part vendors coordinated took a lot of effort, but I hope it will help the many Trident owners out there with good ROVs aside from motors that have seized to keep their vehicals operational.

You’ll notice that these motors don’t come with propellers, which is because those molds and our method of sourcing the propellers has been harder to get going again, but my hope is that people will be able to remove their old propellers from stuck motors to place on the new systems. I’ll continue trying to find ways to make propellers available as well, but I wanted to announce the motor availability as soon as possible.

I am very grateful that so many people in this community have continued to help one-another with advice and ideas even after Trident has stopped being supported, and I hope this new option will help keep these original democratized ROVs exploring.

Thank you to everyone who’s kept the spirit of this project alive.

Eric

1 Like

Thanks Eric,

This is great news.

I will be sure to support these guys with an order in the very near future (there are a couple of operators here in Australia that need new motors).

Kind regards
Jason

Thanks for taking the time to arrange this Eric!

FYI, the bugs with X-Teams webpage for the motors should have now been repaired, so if you were having trouble purchasing motors on the site before you should be able to now. Please let me know if anyone has any further issues!

1 Like

FYI, I’ve also now uploaded the motor installation instructions we use to send out with replacement kits to the OpenROV GitHub page. You can find that here: GitHub - OpenROV/Trident-Development-Kit: This folder contains information useful for interfacing external designs with the Trident ROV

Hi @Eric_Stackpole , I am interested in a bulk order of these motors to use in a small custom ROV we designed for an educational program however they are pretty expensive. I tried to send message to X-Team using both the website messaging option and an email to: info@x-teamrc.com but neither worked. The email got returned back and the website said it had an error.

Do you have an alternative way to reach X-Team and do you think they would be willing to give me a bulk order discount for at least 60pcs?

Thank you!

Hi @stephen . I just spoke with the people at X-Team and that email should be working now. If you still have issues, let me know.

Eric

Hi @Eric_Stackpole,
I‘ll try to get in contact with x-Team, but web side and Email Adresse doesn‘t work. Also on contact: dehudu@gmail.com, they didn‘t answer.

@Eric_Stackpole I’m having difficulty ordering these motors from x-team. I have called, written emails to dehudu@gmail.com and Info@x-teamrc.com and tried to use the chat feature on their website. Any suggestions on how to contact them? When I am able to get items into my cart, there is no credit card option that doesn’t produce an error code. We have 6 tridents and are in desperate need of the motors & shafts.

@np4dance @walter @Eric_Stackpole You guys had any luck in contacting the X-team people?, I have written mails and I have no answers, I need to buy spare parts and I don’t know where else to look. The web page does not allow me to change the delivery address, but it indicates that they have stock of the parts, could you help me or tell me if you had any luck with this?

I’ve had the Trident not working for 1,5 year now. So I just had to order. I placed the order the 24th of July. The 27th of July the amount was deducted from my credit card.

Still no confirmation email from them and still no motor in the mail.

@carredondo : I emailed them regarding thtat it wasn’t possible to change the delivery address, then I got a reply from Dehu Du. But they fixed it the same day, so it’s possible now.

1 Like

Thanks @daniel.kvernoy, please let me know if you get the order confirmation, I would like to buy some rotors as well.

Got this answer from them now:

“Our customer service should write to you, the goods are delivered to remote areas, our goods cannot reach there, the goods are currently returned to our factory, you write a request for a refund, we will arrange a refund for you”

I have no words.

man. 12. sep. 2022 kl. 15:19 skrev Cristobal Arredondo via OpenROV Forums <notifications@openrov.discoursemail.com>:

@Eric_Stackpole Hello, I’m trying to replace 2 broken propellor motors and was about to order them from XTeam when I saw all the messages on this forum that sound like ordered parts are not being received by purchasers. I’m only in the USA for a few months (normally based in Senegal) and I brought the Trident with me to try to get it repaired, because we need to use it for our upcoming Nat Geo grant. Any idea how I can get the 3 pc suite of propoellors and shafts? The Trident was originally donated to us by the Open ROV program with Nat Geo. Thanks for any help & advice!