Mock Dev enviroment for desktops

software

Hi team,

Hope all is well. Attempting to set-up the cockpit mock dev environment and having issues with the npm run:deploy. Created an issue on github, could just be that I am an idiot with node, very possible, but I’ve checked dependencies, updated packages, and read through some of the node scripts, and have not had much luck in the 2 hours I think I devoted to it, lol. Anyway, please look at:

In general, how do you cats set up your dev environments? Does it differ from the HOWTO guide in the repo?

I am working on some ideas for the Trident and would love to have the mock env set up for plugin additions I am considering.

@gilbert can you point me in the correct direction/person? Sorry, I am still an idiot with the stack. Too many other things have taken precedent until now, LOL

Thanks

Jim

Give the following commands a shot on windows machines:

set NODE_ENV=production
set npm_config_shrinkwrap=true
npm install

Hi Brian,

I’m developing in Linux (debian), mint, Rosa, I believe. kernel 3.16.0-generic. I’ve tried a few variants on the node and npm configs with no success.

OpenROV-Cockpit@31.0.0 deploy:prod /home/borotech/Dev/repos/openrov-cockpit
env ‘npm_config_unsafe_perm=true’ env ‘npm_config_shrinkwrap=true’ NODE_ENV=production npm install

npm ERR! Linux 3.16.0-38-generic
npm ERR! argv “/usr/local/bin/node” “/usr/local/bin/npm” "install"
npm ERR! node v7.2.0
npm ERR! npm v4.0.3

npm ERR! Cannot read property ‘deep-extend’ of undefined
npm ERR!
npm ERR! If you need help, you may report this error at:
npm ERR! https://github.com/npm/npm/issues
npm ERR! argv “/usr/local/bin/node” “/usr/local/bin/npm” "install"
npm ERR! node v7.2.0
npm ERR! npm v4.0.3

npm ERR! Cannot read property ‘extsprintf’ of undefined
npm ERR!
npm ERR! If you need help, you may report this error at:
npm ERR! https://github.com/npm/npm/issues

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR! /home/borotech/Dev/repos/openrov-cockpit/npm-debug.log

npm ERR! argv “/usr/local/bin/node” “/usr/local/bin/npm” “run” "deploy:prod"
npm ERR! node v7.2.0
npm ERR! npm v4.0.3
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! OpenROV-Cockpit@31.0.0 deploy:prod: env 'npm_config_unsafe_perm=true' env 'npm_config_shrinkwrap=true' NODE_ENV=production npm install
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the OpenROV-Cockpit@31.0.0 deploy:prod script ‘env ‘npm_config_unsafe_perm=true’ env ‘npm_config_shrinkwrap=true’ NODE_ENV=production npm install’.
npm ERR! Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
npm ERR! If you do, this is most likely a problem with the OpenROV-Cockpit package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR! env ‘npm_config_unsafe_perm=true’ env ‘npm_config_shrinkwrap=true’ NODE_ENV=production npm install
npm ERR! You can get information on how to open an issue for this project with:
npm ERR! npm bugs OpenROV-Cockpit
npm ERR! Or if that isn’t available, you can get their info via:
npm ERR! npm owner ls OpenROV-Cockpit
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.
npm WARN Local package.json exists, but node_modules missing, did you mean to install?

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR! /home/borotech/Dev/repos/openrov-cockpit/npm-debug.log

@Jim_N your a cutting edge bandit. I have not yet had a change to attempt compiling everything with Node 7, so that is my current suspicion based on the error messages.

I would be curious to know if if works if you use a Node 6.x version. (You can use https://github.com/creationix/nvm to run multiple node versions side by side).

Also, the “shrink-wrap” setting pins our dependencies. It may be that if you use “npm run-script deploy:dev” and get the latest versions of the packages, some latent incompatibility may be fixed.

@badevguru, @gilbert

I managed to get a solution running: node v6.9.2 with npm v3.10.9 Linux kernel 3.16.0-38

My first few attempts had node v4… and subsequent node v7… node 6.9.2 did the trick… ugh.

Thanks

Jim

I take that back, LOL. There are many issues…More to come…there were some modules that seem to have not installed…

OK, got it. Missed the whole, ‘run as root’ note in the doc. And the fact that I should use chrome and not firefox lol

Thanks

Jim