McMaster-Carr order issues

We are preparing to build our OpenRov kit, serial number 307 and have unfortunately run into our first issue before even getting started...

When ordering the additional materials needed for the build from the Bill list, we got this message from McMaster-Carr

Hi Jason,

Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr only accepts international orders from our established customers. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We cannot accept this order or future orders.

Glenn

Upon calling McMaster-Carr, all they would say is due to potential liability, they will not accept our order (to be shipped to Florida)

Our Order:

Ship to
Odyssey Expeditions
418 Shaddock St
Tarpon Springs FL 34689

Order Date
5/13/13
Ordered By
Jason Buchheim
McMaster-Carr Number
Line Product Ordered Ships Price Total
1 6430A18 Loctite Adhesive Cartridge, E-90FL Flexible Impact Resistant Epoxy, 1.69 oz 2
each
today 13.38
each
2 74695A71 Gun for 1: 1, 1: 2 & 2: 1 Mix Ratio Cartridges 1
each
today 22.10
each
3 74695A12 Replacement Mixer Nozzle 4
each
today 1.21
each

Notes
Your order is subject only to our terms and conditions, available at www.mcmaster.com.

Merchandise $53.70
Applicable shipping charges will be added.
McMaster-Carr Supply Company

Has anyone else had issues with McMaster-Carr, and is there any other source for this Flexible Expoxy?

Thanks

Jason

That's really strange! I wonder why they won't ship there...

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Hysol-E-90FL-Adhesive-Cartridge/dp/B000WSF9JW

eBay, hardware stores.

Shouldn't be too hard to find

Hi Jason,

You are not alone. As I understand it, Mcmaster-Carr had zero export control a few years ago, and then they received a fine from an order to a questionable person on the terror suspect watch-list outside the U.S. After that, if sales even suspects that an order (even one shipped in the U.S.) may go to a foreign individual, they turn it down. (I've been to Tarpin Springs, great place..also one of the most "American" towns I've been to. Great food and great diving) It's a bad business model for sure and has made a large number of people unhappy. I guess the whole "Visit Greece without Leaving Florida" tagline constitutes a national export threat...for adhesives.

But in all seriousness, the U.S. export laws are pretty intimidating and heavy handed. They don't want to take the chance. They've adopted a very re-active stance, instead of a more intelligent pro-active one.

Hi Jason,

I had the same experience like you and I am using my US shipping address in New York.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that that I use my UAE credit card for payment.

Jan

Unless you are a business you are out of luck I'm afraid. Just received this reply from M-C today...

"Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international orders only from businesses. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We are unable to provide a quotation or accept your orders."