Live streaming video to internet

Eventually I was also able to get a LIVE broadcast to Youtube working last night. I just needed to add a Youtube Mobile LIVE encoder to the stack.

You are correct that 720p is not bad, but I noticed that when in low light, the poor quality of the image on the JXD screen increases. What is difficult to see on the JXD, is impossible on the webcast video. This might only be an issue for me since I often work in inky black world of mines and caves, where you’re limited to the light on the ROV. I’m looking for added lighting on the Trident to resolve this issue,

The cockpit info can a bit of a nuance, but in my test I found you eventually ignored it, and not notice it at all.

I’ll see if I can do a real world test in the local bay this weekend, using a mobile hotspot to push it to Youtube.

Won’t it be hard to get signal for live streaming out of the mine/cave?

For lighting, are you thinking of adding just dive flashlights to the bottom or building something specific?

1 Like

I’m working on building a custom low profile light add-on using high lumen LED lights. This will be our winter project since any serious Trident dives are off until spring.

Yes, signal in a mine or cave can be a challenge, but in many cases you overcome this issue using signal repeater/boosters that can be powered with a USB battery pack. Some of my fellow cave explorers have already been doing this with their Cave Rover 1.

Cave%20Rover%201

That Cave Rover looks neat, lots of old mine shafts up here that could be pretty neat exploring, I never want to venture inside for fear of collapse. Would be interested to see what you come up with for LEDs

1 Like

Yes, Caver Rover 1 looks great. I’ve been impressed with what they’ve accomplished so far. We’re looking into building our own Cave Rover in the near future. Never enough tools to explore those place that people cannot reach. Right now though, our Trident has been serving us well, and other local explorers have been asking us if we can help them with it. I think 2019 will be a busy year.

We’ve already discussed and investigated a few lighting ideas. After the holidays we’ll make a decision on the design and it shouldn’t take long to build it.

Hey guys!

Wanted to chime in here with some thoughts of how to livestream from an HDMI output like what you’d find on the JXD S192K Trident controller. I used a Video Capture device like the HORNETTEK HT-VC01, which essentially turns your HDMI output into a webcam that plugs in via USB. Once the USB webcam feed from the controller is on your computer, it is easy to connect to the internet via Ethernet or WiFi if available or through a cellular hotspot if out in the field.

There are many online streaming platforms such as Twitch, YouTube Live, Facebook Live, etc which you can stream to directly, but I like to use a program called Open Broadcaster Software which can stream to any of these platforms and has a lot of other advanced features like combining multiple video and audio streams, adding custom overlays and away messages, etc.

For the JXD S192K specifically, you’ll also need a Mini HDMI to regular HDMI cable so I’ve included that link here.

Here’s an image of my setup:

Looking forward seeing what people stream!

Eric

5 Likes

@Eric_Stackpole Thanks! I ordered the items and will try a test broadcast ASAP.

I’m excited and can’t wait until we get out this coming spring. I’m sure people will enjoy being with us LIVE at some of the places we’ll be exploring in 2019.

~Michael

Thanks Eric,

This is GOLD…

Related to this application, is it possible for another device (Laptop) to connect via WiFi to the Topside module to tap into the video stream through a browser window or Video LAN?

We need the Trident video streaming inside the cabin of a research vessel and it’s not practical for the operator to have any cables coming from the controller.

We’ve had success by wirelessly screencasting the JXD screen to a Chromecast plugged into a TV. Both the JXD and the Chromecast need to be on the same Trident network to do this, and there is a ~0.5s delay in the view coming into the TV.

@dprestonmartin I’ve been trying to get Chromecast to work as well, but so far, all of my attempts using the Trident wifi network do not work. Did you modify the Trident network in any way? [edit- Nevermind! I finally did find a combination that works. I am “chromecasting” to Reflector 3 on a laptop]

I occasionally connect my tablet and phone to the topside module at the same time. In my application I leave my tablet on a stand in the shade and then move about with my phone and a Bluetooth game-pad controller.

If you haven’t already tried this, you could probably do the same thing with a tablet PC in addition to the controller so long as the tablet in the cabin was within wi-fi range of the topside module.

1 Like

Love the idea of live streaming, but wondering if there is other ways…
Did anyone ever try to do for example a youtube live stream from their tablet with screen recording the pilot view? That should be possible right?

@manuel I’ve tested the Live streaming to Youtube and it worked great. I was able to send live footage from the Trident to Youtube, while in my home. I haven’t had the time to go out with the Trident in a real run, and do a broadcast yet.

~Michael

Did you stream with the hdmi adapter or with the screen directly?

@manuel I did it through the HDMI port on my controller, and some internet software I found. Both of them do the LIVE feed from the view from the ROV, not the pilot view. To get the pilot view, I use a screen capture software but cannot show it live, but post it later.

~Michael

1 Like

Could you ever share the software you used to get the 1080p stream?

1 Like

@johngrosklaus I’ll try to post details on what I’ve used later tonight.

~Michael

Hi @pforperry,
Are you still able to connect two devices to the topside WiFi with the last few releases of the Cockpit app (v1.7.3)? It appears to me that the Cockpit app is now continually writing the rov_control_target even when the joysticks are inactive. With v1.6.2?, the rov_control_target wouldn’t be written when the joysticks were inactive for awhile, which would allow another device to ‘pilot’ the Trident.

G’day webhoppery,

I have not connected my two devices for a while so I will check this feature on the weekend.

My tablet has also been giving me issues lately and in particular it has been dropping the video link but remaining connected to Trident (my phone does not seem to have this problem so it is likely to be an issue inside the tablet). Because of this, I have not been taking it out. I also upgraded to the (now not so) new Samsung Galaxy S10+ in May so I briefly tested simultaneous connections to Trident with all three devices including my old Galaxy S5.

As an aside, I am also keen to see if Cockpit operates in the DEX mode of my Samsung S10+ since this will allow me to screen cast to HDMI whilst controlling Trident with the Bluetooth game controller.

Hi @pforperry

I don’t recommend connecting two devices with the latest few Cockpit versions. If you try it at home, low thruster gain, and with no joystick deflection on either device, things seem ok. But when I add a little joystick deflection on one device, the thrusters seem to try to go between the joystick setting and 0, from the 2nd device.