Live streaming video to internet

Hello,

Has anyone any experience of live streaming Trident footage to facebook or similar?
If so, how did this go?

Thanks
Tim

Live Internet Control (Trident Kickstarter Update #4)

Yes, I’d like to know too. I’ve looked at ways I might be able to do this, but would like to avoid doing it the hard way if someone is already familiar with the process involved.

Thanks,

~Michael

Is this really important ? Is that the reason you invested in Trident ?

If you really need this, the solution is to find on the tablet you use to communicate with your Trident. The Trident itself has nothing to do with this question. You will find answers on forums about drones in general.

No experience with live streaming, my Trident is on it’s way but this appears to be the type of app you are looking for. No experience with this one but might get you searching the right direction for something that would work.

Thank you alaskasurf.
As marcolinger points out this isn’t core functionality, but our objective is to improve our community’s awareness and appreciation of the local marine environment, and use of live streaming is just one potential tool to help gain public engagement.

@marcolinger The reason I invested in the Trident was to explore and document parts of the world most people don’t have access. Part of all my expeditions is to share my findings with the public. I see a great value in sharing this with those who do not have access to the same places and tools that I have. As @Tim-H mentioned, it helps to improve our community’s awareness and appreciation and live streaming is just one potential tool to help gain public engagement.

~Michael

If Elon Musk gets his satellite based internet network running you could stream amazing explorations from remote locations. In Alaska, cell service is too spotty to be of much use for live streaming where you’d be using the Trident. I remember in middle school we did a field trip to NatGeo and had a live video chat with Robert Ballard, cool experience. Streaming to classrooms, especially to landlocked kids, even simple things like life on dock pilings would be neat. His website is cool to check out if you haven’t seen it.

I am also interested in this functionality.

It does not appear to be available within the app at the moment however I have been led to believe it is likely to be made available by OpenROV in future updates.

I have been considering the use of third party broadcast apps as an interim solution however I have not yet been able to establish simultaneous wifi connection between Trident, my tablet and the internet. The use of HDMI out or a second device acting as a bridge seems the obvious hack however I am not skilled in these areas so I am happy to wait for an integrated solution to be offered by OpenROV.

If any [insert malicious actors here] are already watching live video feeds from our Tridents then please let us know how to do it hahaha.

I do not think that the developpment of this function inside the trident software is a priority for Openrow.

Two remarks based on my understanding and knowledge :

1. For the reason of bandwide limitations, images from the Trident are registred locally (inside the trident) in high quality but transmitted to the tablet in realtime in low quality once the dive is finished. This means that what you woud be able to transmit to the web would only be low quality. Waiting the end of your dive you could transmit high qualty footage.

2. On your android tablet (sorry I am not familiar with android using mainly iPad) you should be able to install an application which sends the low resolution video on the go either to the cloud (Dropbox or similar) where you can give access or to a website.

I am still convinced that the only easy and efficient solution is to distribute your high quality resolution footage after the dive.

Thanks marcolinger,

I tend to agree with your comments about software priorities and bandwidth limits but I remain optimistic about transmitting live video one day. I still remember green screen monitors and VGA so 720p is not so bad in my opinion.

I wonder if an Apple app is still on their list of priorities…

I just did a test broadcast to Facebook with my Trident, and I was successful. I was using an App called DU Recorder. Unfortunately this only sends a video of whats on the screen of my JXD controller. This means that 720p is the best resolution of Trident footage I can send a LIVE feed of.

This App can also broadcast to Youtube. I’m still trying to work out the details on how to get that functioning.

Glad you got it to work. Marcolinger is correct on bandwidth and resolution, but I also don’t think 720 for live streaming is that bad, unfortunately as you said it includes all the trident cockpit info instead of just a clean picture, but I think that is all that will be possible with the current version.

Eventually I was also able to get a LIVE broadcast to Youtube working last night. I just needed to add a Youtube Mobile LIVE encoder to the stack.

You are correct that 720p is not bad, but I noticed that when in low light, the poor quality of the image on the JXD screen increases. What is difficult to see on the JXD, is impossible on the webcast video. This might only be an issue for me since I often work in inky black world of mines and caves, where you’re limited to the light on the ROV. I’m looking for added lighting on the Trident to resolve this issue,

The cockpit info can a bit of a nuance, but in my test I found you eventually ignored it, and not notice it at all.

I’ll see if I can do a real world test in the local bay this weekend, using a mobile hotspot to push it to Youtube.

Won’t it be hard to get signal for live streaming out of the mine/cave?

For lighting, are you thinking of adding just dive flashlights to the bottom or building something specific?

I’m working on building a custom low profile light add-on using high lumen LED lights. This will be our winter project since any serious Trident dives are off until spring.

Yes, signal in a mine or cave can be a challenge, but in many cases you overcome this issue using signal repeater/boosters that can be powered with a USB battery pack. Some of my fellow cave explorers have already been doing this with their Cave Rover 1.

Cave%20Rover%201

That Cave Rover looks neat, lots of old mine shafts up here that could be pretty neat exploring, I never want to venture inside for fear of collapse. Would be interested to see what you come up with for LEDs

Yes, Caver Rover 1 looks great. I’ve been impressed with what they’ve accomplished so far. We’re looking into building our own Cave Rover in the near future. Never enough tools to explore those place that people cannot reach. Right now though, our Trident has been serving us well, and other local explorers have been asking us if we can help them with it. I think 2019 will be a busy year.

We’ve already discussed and investigated a few lighting ideas. After the holidays we’ll make a decision on the design and it shouldn’t take long to build it.

Live Internet Control (Trident Kickstarter Update #4)

Hey guys!

Wanted to chime in here with some thoughts of how to livestream from an HDMI output like what you’d find on the JXD S192K Trident controller. I used a Video Capture device like the HORNETTEK HT-VC01, which essentially turns your HDMI output into a webcam that plugs in via USB. Once the USB webcam feed from the controller is on your computer, it is easy to connect to the internet via Ethernet or WiFi if available or through a cellular hotspot if out in the field.

There are many online streaming platforms such as Twitch, YouTube Live, Facebook Live, etc which you can stream to directly, but I like to use a program called Open Broadcaster Software which can stream to any of these platforms and has a lot of other advanced features like combining multiple video and audio streams, adding custom overlays and away messages, etc.

For the JXD S192K specifically, you’ll also need a Mini HDMI to regular HDMI cable so I’ve included that link here.

Here’s an image of my setup:

Looking forward seeing what people stream!

Eric

@Eric_Stackpole Thanks! I ordered the items and will try a test broadcast ASAP.

I’m excited and can’t wait until we get out this coming spring. I’m sure people will enjoy being with us LIVE at some of the places we’ll be exploring in 2019.

~Michael

Thanks Eric,

This is GOLD…