Live streaming video to internet

Hello,

Has anyone any experience of live streaming Trident footage to facebook or similar?
If so, how did this go?

Thanks
Tim

Yes, I’d like to know too. I’ve looked at ways I might be able to do this, but would like to avoid doing it the hard way if someone is already familiar with the process involved.

Thanks,

~Michael

Is this really important ? Is that the reason you invested in Trident ?

If you really need this, the solution is to find on the tablet you use to communicate with your Trident. The Trident itself has nothing to do with this question. You will find answers on forums about drones in general.

No experience with live streaming, my Trident is on it’s way but this appears to be the type of app you are looking for. No experience with this one but might get you searching the right direction for something that would work.

Thank you alaskasurf.
As marcolinger points out this isn’t core functionality, but our objective is to improve our community’s awareness and appreciation of the local marine environment, and use of live streaming is just one potential tool to help gain public engagement.

@marcolinger The reason I invested in the Trident was to explore and document parts of the world most people don’t have access. Part of all my expeditions is to share my findings with the public. I see a great value in sharing this with those who do not have access to the same places and tools that I have. As @Tim-H mentioned, it helps to improve our community’s awareness and appreciation and live streaming is just one potential tool to help gain public engagement.

~Michael

If Elon Musk gets his satellite based internet network running you could stream amazing explorations from remote locations. In Alaska, cell service is too spotty to be of much use for live streaming where you’d be using the Trident. I remember in middle school we did a field trip to NatGeo and had a live video chat with Robert Ballard, cool experience. Streaming to classrooms, especially to landlocked kids, even simple things like life on dock pilings would be neat. His website is cool to check out if you haven’t seen it.

I am also interested in this functionality.

It does not appear to be available within the app at the moment however I have been led to believe it is likely to be made available by OpenROV in future updates.

I have been considering the use of third party broadcast apps as an interim solution however I have not yet been able to establish simultaneous wifi connection between Trident, my tablet and the internet. The use of HDMI out or a second device acting as a bridge seems the obvious hack however I am not skilled in these areas so I am happy to wait for an integrated solution to be offered by OpenROV.

If any [insert malicious actors here] are already watching live video feeds from our Tridents then please let us know how to do it hahaha.

I do not think that the developpment of this function inside the trident software is a priority for Openrow.

Two remarks based on my understanding and knowledge :

1. For the reason of bandwide limitations, images from the Trident are registred locally (inside the trident) in high quality but transmitted to the tablet in realtime in low quality once the dive is finished. This means that what you woud be able to transmit to the web would only be low quality. Waiting the end of your dive you could transmit high qualty footage.

2. On your android tablet (sorry I am not familiar with android using mainly iPad) you should be able to install an application which sends the low resolution video on the go either to the cloud (Dropbox or similar) where you can give access or to a website.

I am still convinced that the only easy and efficient solution is to distribute your high quality resolution footage after the dive.

Thanks marcolinger,

I tend to agree with your comments about software priorities and bandwidth limits but I remain optimistic about transmitting live video one day. I still remember green screen monitors and VGA so 720p is not so bad in my opinion.

I wonder if an Apple app is still on their list of priorities…

I just did a test broadcast to Facebook with my Trident, and I was successful. I was using an App called DU Recorder. Unfortunately this only sends a video of whats on the screen of my JXD controller. This means that 720p is the best resolution of Trident footage I can send a LIVE feed of.

This App can also broadcast to Youtube. I’m still trying to work out the details on how to get that functioning.

Glad you got it to work. Marcolinger is correct on bandwidth and resolution, but I also don’t think 720 for live streaming is that bad, unfortunately as you said it includes all the trident cockpit info instead of just a clean picture, but I think that is all that will be possible with the current version.