LiPo Power Supply

Hi @ all,

anyone has already succesfull powered his ROV with LiPo cells?

I´m planning to use 3S LiPo´s with 11.1V

Thanks for reply

Stefan

I don't think anyone has yet! But it should run just fine. However make sure to keep an eye on that voltage; LiPo cells really don't like being under voltaged, and while the ESCs do have a low-voltage cutoff that you can enable, no such feature exists for the beaglebone. So make sure you unplug everything or else you might balloon your cells!

I am using S3 Lipo's and they work great. I am running 2 5000ma Lipo's in parallel This past week I have been running my ROV every day. I was getting 3 dives in per day on one charge and could have done more, with each dive being at least 40min each.

Thanks for that information. Maybe there is a way to set some alarm limit software based.

Nice. I have one pair of 2100mAh cells. Compared should be able to handle around 1 hour dive time. For the beginning ok.

I'm sure you guys already know this, but the LiPo batts can be very dangerous when shorted - I ditched my helicopter once in the water upside down, (had floats but I messed up) and just before I got to it, the Venom 3200 flightpack exploded underwater, shooting up a 2' geiser. Thank God I didn't get to it too quick, it would have taken my hand off....

I also wonder if the cost of LiPo batts and a proper charger for them are worth it, since I don't imagine there is a need in ROV application for the power-to-weight ratio and amperage delivery that LiPo batts are all about.

Good info to know, was the water you ditched it in Salt Water or Fresh?

The answer to your Lipo question is yes because they can source the current for peak bursts to the motors without dropping the voltage and this eliminates the issue of processor resets. With the new props, this has dropped the amount of current required substantially and gives a much longer run time on one charge which is nice. I use this charger from Hobby King $32.00US http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15164 which seems to work well for me. But because improvements are being made for the battery configuration on the OpenROV project maybe someone else can respond to the charging method that will be used and yes weight is an issue, the less weight the more buoyant your ROV will be.

Thank you David, I am learning and it makes sense indeed. The water I ditched in was Lake Ontario = freshwater.

Using this LiPos is because 2 battery packs and charger are still flying around at home ;)