Left Forward thruster jammed [Resolved]

propulsion

Hello guys,

today I wanted to go out and start my piloting training after ~2 months of bad weather. Unfortunately, when I arrived at the spot, I connected the Trident only to see that one of the forward thrusters (the left) wasn’t moving… It was totally jammed. I cannot even turn it by hand. Any suggestions?

Last maintenance was after the last dive. I had the Trident washed in a tank with fresh water, maxed the thrusters to wash-off salt water and then dried it with a towel and put it in the case.

Edit: I opened the motor cowlings to see the motors. I noticed that the left motor had a small opening at the sealing material (see red circle in photo), so does this mean that water flooded the motor? Is there a replacement part for this?

Try soaking it and then moving it by hand in the water. It should free up with a little force.

Hey @allolas, sorry to hear that this happened. The motors are designed to be flooded and should not cease as you described. @boatsd’s suggestion to try wiggling the motor free may work, but I’d suggest writing to support@openrov.com and they should be able to assist you in getting things working again. Just out of curiosity, do you know if this has the 1st gen or 2nd gen motors? Thanks for posting!

Eric

1 Like

Thank you for the replies guys! I have already sent an email to support, waiting for their reply.

@Eric_Stackpole1 I don’t know if it’s 1st or 2nd Gen. I can tell you that I had ordered the Trident in June 2018 and it was shipped to Greece in December 2018, so I suppose it got assembled sometime in-between. I don’t know if the 2nd Gen motors were released during the assembly of mine. Maybe @Brian_Grau can tell us if he sees this post! :slight_smile:
Regarding @boatsd 's suggestion, I put the Trident in the sea (but with the cowlings on) and maxed the thrusters from the controller, hoping that it will free up by itself. I will try it again in a tank, with the cowlings off and also wiggle it a bit with my hands and hope for the best.

Still, what bothers me is that little hole in the silicone that seals the connection of the cables with the motor (if you zoom in at the the red circle on the photo, you might see it). I am afraid that salt water went through and, probably, rusted and/or short-circuited the connections… :cry:

In any case, thanks again, I will keep you posted!

I just looked up the serial number of your unit and you do have Gen 2 motors on your Trident. Support should be able to help you out here.

Also about your concern about the hole in the silicone, this is not too big of a concern. That is there to keep debris out of the motor, not water. Water will get into the inside of the motor through other ways (like at the base between the white ring, gold ring, and silver bell). Good eye on this and pointing it out so we can keep an eye on it and take appropriate actions.

1 Like

Thanks for dropping by Brian! :smile:

The Support Department replied and we are already resolving the issue. It seems that when it comes to luck, I draw the short straw and got a faulty motor. But looking it from the bright side, this is a one-in-a-million situation, so I must feel special!!! :rofl::sunglasses:

Thanks to everyone for their contribution!

You are lucky/unlucky :wink: You are in great hands with our support team though!

We do want to learn as much as we can from this failure, so they will probably be asking you to answer some followup questions. It would be a great help if you can provide us with as much information as you can so we can get to the bottom of this issue and make sure it does not happen to others.

Happy diving!

1 Like

Bumping the post just to let everyone know that I got a replacement kit for the motor and everything is working like a charm! Amazing support guys!!

I took the Trident for a test dive during a Discover SCUBA Diving session we did at the University, with the colaboration of a local Dive Shop and here is a brief video.
The text is in Greek, but you will get the idea!
:sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

That is great to hear that this has been resolved! If there are any other issues, never be afraid to reach out to our support team.

Thank you for sharing the video of the SCUBA dive session! Looks like fun!

I’ve just experienced this exact same issue with my Trident so will be getting onto support to see what help they can offer. Again the left motor is totally jammed and will not free up whatever I try.

Matt