Lake Michigan Plane Crash Search

I was directed to the forum by Zack at OpenROV. I work for a nonprofit startup, Kolibri Forensics (www.kolibriforensics.org) and we are currently working with the local law enforcement and coroner in northern Indiana to locate an aircraft that disappeared back in the late 1980s. The suggestion was made to inquire if any of the OpenROV owners in the area might want to help in the search. The more boats, sonar and ROVs we have the quicker and more thorough the search will be. There are three people still missing and we have the families’ blessings to proceed with the search and recovery.

The coroner has already stated that anyone caught messing with the site in the mean time (or prior to the recovery of any remains) will be fined or prosecuted unless they have been given permission so I advise anyone in the area to work with us rather than going after anything themselves. These and similar sites are considered gravesites and fall under the jurisdiction of the local medical examiner or coroner as a result. The last thing you want is having to deal with legal trouble even if you have the best of intentions. The case was the subject of a newspaper article recently: http://chestertontribune.com/Local%20History/team_seeks_funding_to_solve_30ye.htm

If you would like to help us, we are planning to conduct the search next month although the final dates have yet to be set due to trying to find ones that work for the agencies and volunteers involved thus far. Please let me know if you think you can help or know someone who can.

Thank you for your time.

I am in the area and possibly could help out. I sent an e-mail to the org. to start the conversation.

Awesome. I will get back to you on there over the next day or two. I apologize for the slight delay but we had a family emergency come up and I am dealing with that tonight.

Wondering what happened to this research.

A local diver/searcher spent some time running lanes with his sidescan and as expected came up blank. The plane that was being searched for was a decades old story. Let me leave it at that…